Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Show me your A/C upgrades

Hey Old Hat owners - I’ve got a 77 58’ Hat MY with up galley. The old split system (R22) loves power and doesn’t cool all that great. I’ve got four split systems running off one seacock/pump. The compressors live in the starboard engine room on the aft wall. See picture, I’d love to hear and see what you’ve done to upgrade your system.
    FCA0E996-07F7-4C29-A7CE-DC02E88ECA88.jpg

Re: Show me your A/C upgrades

That must be a hatt thing. I have a 53MY, the a/c's will freeze you out everywhere except the galley. It's always warm in there.

Re: Show me your A/C upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    That must be a hatt thing. I have a 53MY, the a/c's will freeze you out everywhere except the galley. It's always warm in there.
    When I bought my 53 MY back in 2003, it had 4 splits but the galley was cooled by diverting air from the forward salon. That wasn’t working well. The previous owner had replaced all 4 condensers and bought an extra 9k btu which he didn’t install. I installed it with a air handler for the galley and it made a huge difference. Cool galley and full AC in the salon.

Now the 58 is different with galley up but four condensers seem to be insufficient. What size are they?

As I mentioned in other threads, 4 years ago I removed everything and installed 2 36k chillers and 5 air handlers. What a difference! It s august in Miami and every part of the boat is meat locker cold. Not a cheap and easy upgrade though… about $25k of hardware and about 2 weeks of my time to install. But I m glad I did it.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat