Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Onan mkdk generator.

While underway the genset fills up with water, only underway.Remove glo plugs and remove water.New impellar, new water pump housing

Re: Onan mkdk generator.

What changes, mods or services to the thru hulls, water pump, anti siphon valve or exhaust have been recently made?
    Or typed differently, when did this start? What was done rite before this started?
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 08-15-2022 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    What changes, mods or services to the thru hulls, water pump, anti siphon valve or exhaust have been recently made?
    Or typed differently, when did this start? What was done rite before this started?
    no changes to the thru hulls 2 years ago water pump, and impeller. This has been on and of for two years.Pulled the boat intakes is good, The only thing is noticed is a small flat spot on the discharge hose from the muffler,It is not a wire reinforced wirw hod=se

I assume it is picking up water while not running.
    A scoop water intake will cause this. A clogged anti siphon valve may cause this. Not high enough of an exhaust rise may cause this. The exhaust outlet below a spray rail may cause this. A bad riser may cause this.

i will check on these items, very upsetting. I will start by replacing exhaust hose and re route it higher.Your help is greatly appreciated.

Check the muffler if it’s the lift style.

What do you have on the thru hull? If you have the scoop with slots, for a generator it should have holes in the back to prevent pressure from building up. Sometimes barnacles can build up and plugs the holes forcing water in. Make sure you diver cleans them. I had this happen a while back. No damage as I caught it right away and flushed the gen with diesel and then oil.

As a temporary band aid, close the sea cock whn running without the gen
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I had to change divers over this. I would start with the thruhull.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750