Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: PEX for water and/or waste hoses?

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Unfortunately it does freeze and burst. I had it happen in the cellar way at my moms house in Pennsylvania. I had heard the same about it not bursting but it sure does. Another thing I found was the mice really like to chew on it. If you’ve never had the pleasure of having a rat on the boat it probably wouldn’t bother you. But I’ve had the unfortunate experience several times and they like plastic.
    Pex or the earlier Poly?

2. Re: PEX for water and/or waste hoses?

There are 3 types of Pex A B & C Pex A is the expandable connection type and can expand up to 7 time its original size and return to normal. It is very flexible and available in different colors.
    Beachcomber
    Former 3 Hat owner
    Home port Paducah, KY

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Pex or the earlier Poly?
    PEX that I put in 3 years ago
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I use pex on quite a bit of stuff. Even air lines in the shop are 1" pex. The thicker stuff 3/4-1" doesn't bend as well but the 1/2" bends very easily and they have 90deg plastic sweep guides that you clip the pex in for 90deg turns where you don't want to use a fitting, has a 3" or so radius and will not allow the pex to crimp/kink.

I prefer the brass pex fittings with the stainless steel crimp rings. These crimp rings are removable with a screwdriver/pliers so you can undo and re-make connections fairly easily.

The shark bite fittings are nice but REALLY add up in cost when doing larger projects. The brass fitting with SS crimps are actually pretty cheap comparatively but you need to have an $80 crimper tool to make them up.

Is way better than having to deal with pvc glue or copper flares...etc. Bonus that all fittings and pex are available at all big box stores hd, lowes..etc. On the boat (and in the shop) I have a pex tray/kit with assorted fittings, crimps and all the tools necessary to make connections. So on the boat, if I have a problem, or need to do something, I just grab the box and do the project/fix. Very handy.

I have pex on my raw water intake for my AC units and pretty much all the fresh water on the boat is pex.

I'm not sure the big pex would be good for waste lines, it's REALLY stiff and unless you just had straight runs, would probably be somewhat of a pain to work with. Also not sure about it leeching smells.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 08-18-2022 at 09:06 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Smile Re: PEX for water and/or waste hoses?

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    I'm using PEX on my Roamer refit, in part, because it's an aluminum hull and the only pitting on the hull interior was directly under or in close vicinity to Chris Craft's original copper fuel and water lines.Another benefit to PEX regardless of hull material is that, if you're in places that freeze in winter, it doesn't burst or develop cracks should water in the lines freeze. Every big boat I've owned that had copper lines also had sections that previous owners had bypassed with hose because the copper tube burst during a freeze. PEX can expand and then returns to its original size when the ice inside melts. It also insulates rather than conducting cold/heat from the air to the fluid inside the tube.The Pro PEX I use bends fairly well, but I do have a bag of TEE and 90° elbow fittings that come in handy in some places.
    Fist off I want to correct the person that pex should only break at a joint not the pex itself. It it did crack or tear it was previously damaged someway. I use pex everywhere underground, underwater, boat, rv and house. It always seems to last the longest and you can turn or move at joints and they still never leak. They also say never to crimp twice but I have even done that and we are 10 years in now. Just did some repairs today on the old grey stuff on my 65MY and turned out perfect. Next on the agenda is running all new lines to the Heads.

Angry Re: PEX for water and/or waste hoses?

As my crappy gray polybutylene joints leak I am replacing sections of gray pipe with PEX. I’m using the shark bite connections to go from gray pipe to PEX. For the PEX to PEX I’m using the brass crimp-on fittings (which need the tool mentioned above) which are easy. I keep plenty of extra fittings (including crimp plugs) to be able to keep the rest of the boat up in case of leaks (which isn’t rare with polybutylene fittings).