Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PEX for water and/or waste hoses?

Sorry if this has been posted already, but SAM's does not allow 3 letter searches so I can't tell if PEX tubing has been discussed.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has replaced the "clear reinforced vinyl hose", copper pipe and/or PVC waste lines using PEX. I would think it would be a great replacement for copper water supply lines and that "clear" flexible hose used for various water connections, but what about 1" PEX for waste lines or seawater intake connections to a thru-hull?

They make PEX in 1", but not sure if it's odor resistant, etc.

So if anyone has any input on this, please share.

Re: PEX for water and/or waste hoses?

I was considering PEX for water lines but after careful consideration, went another way. Pex likes sweeps and not bends (it kinks with bends) and pricing out all the fittings and tools needed, I went back to the old stand-by of copper tubing with flares and reinforced plastic drinking water approved tubing with barb fittings and double clamps.
    "Lady Beatrice"
    Rob Pettigrew
    1965 50' Flushdeck Hull#9
    Houma, La.

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/im...ine=1599353347

Copper is proven. Most 50 years old Hatteras still have the original copper. I have redone all my plumbing, not because it had issues but because I moved everything around, and used copper with SharkByte fittings. Some of it is 4 years old and I haven’t had a single leak. I ve pulled and yanked at some of the fittings under pressure and not a drop.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I was actually going to ask about shark-bites also, as they get lots of vibration on a boat that doesn't happen in a home.

Glad to hear they are holding with no issues.

Pascal did it perfect!
    Copper and shark bite fittings!
    If I was doing a complete change, that's the way to go.
    "Lady Beatrice"
    Rob Pettigrew
    1965 50' Flushdeck Hull#9
    Houma, La.

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/im...ine=1599353347

Redone my water lines with Pex and brass fittings 7 years ago no leaks
    Bob

I'm using PEX on my Roamer refit, in part, because it's an aluminum hull and the only pitting on the hull interior was directly under or in close vicinity to Chris Craft's original copper fuel and water lines.

Another benefit to PEX regardless of hull material is that, if you're in places that freeze in winter, it doesn't burst or develop cracks should water in the lines freeze. Every big boat I've owned that had copper lines also had sections that previous owners had bypassed with hose because the copper tube burst during a freeze. PEX can expand and then returns to its original size when the ice inside melts. It also insulates rather than conducting cold/heat from the air to the fluid inside the tube.

The Pro PEX I use bends fairly well, but I do have a bag of TEE and 90° elbow fittings that come in handy in some places.
    Last edited by q240z; 08-17-2022 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    I'm using PEX on my Roamer refit, in part, because it's an aluminum hull and the only pitting on the hull interior was directly under or in close vicinity to Chris Craft's original copper fuel and water lines.

Another benefit to PEX regardless of hull material is that, if you're in places that freeze in winter, it doesn't burst or develop cracks should water in the lines freeze. Every big boat I've owned that had copper lines also had sections that previous owners had bypassed with hose because the copper tube burst during a freeze. PEX can expand and then returns to its original size when the ice inside melts. It also insulates rather than conducting cold/heat from the air to the fluid inside the tube.

The Pro PEX I use bends fairly well, but I do have a bag of TEE and 90° elbow fittings that come in handy in some places.
    Unfortunately it does freeze and burst. I had it happen in the cellar way at my moms house in Pennsylvania. I had heard the same about it not bursting but it sure does. Another thing I found was the mice really like to chew on it. If you’ve never had the pleasure of having a rat on the boat it probably wouldn’t bother you. But I’ve had the unfortunate experience several times and they like plastic.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

No rats on the boat, and I've never had a problem with PEX in my homes, either.

But about freeze-bursting, Pro PEX, the grade I use, can expand to 2x its original size without any damage. That's far more than water expands when it freezes. This type of PEX tube is assembled using an expander that stretches 1/2" ID tube that I use to 3/4", and then it just returns to its former size. That's how this type of PEX seals to fittings. There are other types that I've heard aren't very flexible and require Shark Bite or compression fittings. Perhaps that's what your mother has?

Also, I've heard of fittings bursting from freezing. But they're not made of the same PEX material. They're either hard plastic or brass.

PEX uses corner adapters to give a nice rounded 90 deg, I believe a 6” tight radius.