Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy

Re: Looking to buy

So this is really an early 50MY with a cockpit extension. It is not a 50YF

She has some nice upgrades although the listing is light on specific. “Upgraded air con” doesn’t mean anything …

Looks like the boat that was featured in a Passagemaker article a few years back

In calm conditions you should not need flopperstoppers but maybe they re needed in Mexico because of swells. Don’t know, never been there.

Maybe a good boat… hard to tell. Needs a good sea trial.

There are a few thing that I wonder about. Fuel and water capacity is higher than the 50/53…. Did they add tanks in the extention? 12v windlass on a 55 footer? Odd, I d expect 24v. No pictures of ERs, gen or air cons ?

I don’t think I d travel all the way to Mexico for that one.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I would see if they moved the struts and rudders back when they added the extension. That coupled with 150 hp motors could make for a foul handling vessel.The add also says that the extension was “supervised” by Hatteras whatever that means. You definitely need a surveyor to look at the hull and see how the extension was done.

I ran a scallop boat for a year to get tonnage increase on my license. We had the vosper fins. It was a side pull dredge setup so we would drop the opposite bird to keep the boat level. The fins don’t keep the boat from rolling like stabilizers do. They just stop the roll oscillations. Takes a lot of structure to support the outriggers. What’s on the pics of this boat don’t look too substantial. Anyone who’s seen Perfect Storm knows the downside to birds.
    Attached Images
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Nice boat. In Mexico? The logistics of bringing it back would be enough to deter me even though I could see it as a great boat for the Bahamas or the Loop.
    Regards
    Dan

Wouldn't this boat have too much air draft for the loop?

If you decide to proceed as far as surveying the boat, get a surveyor who's very knowledgeable with trawlers and paravanes etc. I would want to know how they reinforced the hull sides where the sticks are mounted.

This boat is neither fish nor fowl. I think you should be looking at passagemaking trawler yachts if blue water passages are what you plan to do.

Just to compare, a beautiful classic 53' Hatteras MY just sold here in MD for 50K more than the ask on this boat. If you want a Hatteras MY, try to find one like that (if you can; they aren't exactly thick on the ground) If you want a trawler, look for a Hatteras LRC; they are out there.

This boat was feature in at least two issues of PASSAGEMAKER magazine quite some time back, when this magazine was a thinking boater magazine. As I can recall,it mentioned that it had 8v71 N, . The high oil consumption was due to a hole in the oil pan !!. The boat was completly restored in Mexico, and by the look of the pictures they did a very good job.I will not be afraid to consider it.. Good luck

Those are not paravanes, they are just flopped stoppers, which are very useful in many Mexican anchorages. We cruised there for 7 years and have considered a similar setup if we ever decide to take our Hatt down there. The structure is way to small and light to support Paravanes.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Takes a couple looks to appreciate but I can see why you're interested. Love that pantry up front. 7 knots is painfully slow. We do 9 in a 48YF but I am always fighting the urge to run faster.

9. Re: Looking to buy

Considering the huge price jumps for Real Estate in Mexico recently, the value for this quite attractive yacht seems to be in her location.

is the upgraded air conditioner that portable unit sitting to the left of the helm? if not the upgrade must not be good enough so they added a portable
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.