Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy

Looking to buy

I am looking at a 50’ yachtfish that has been repowered with 2 150hp John Deere. I am wondering how these boats handle running at low speed. Stated cruising speed is 7kts. Can anybody tell me how these ride at low speeds? Am I posting in the right section? Any input would be appreciated.

Re: Looking to buy

150 hp what model?

Small blocks last short times with a heavy load. I have a customer with QSM11 s at 300 hp. Run forever motors. It's a 80 foot passage maker.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

It sounds like someone repowered that boat and made it into a trawler. I think if you want a trawler, you would be far better off to buy a boat like a Hatteras LRC which was designed to be a trawler in the first place- not a planing-hull design which was turned into a trawler.

There's nothing wrong with the Deere engines, but I'd suggest that you think carefully about the next owner of any boat you buy. A boat that's been turned into something it wasn't meant to be will be very difficult to sell when you decide to move to something else.

I think the old 50s were originaly powered with 8V71s. The brochures do not offer horsepower tunes.
    The Base 8V71 started at 230SHP, 296 then 325HP with out turbos.
    That was a lot of power and torque at 230 shaft horse power. Probably was a sweet ride.

I luv those little turbo JDs, but IMO, these are in the wrong boat.

JD is not a cheap set up either. I feel for the same money, 5.9T Cummins could have gone in that 50 and been a heck of a better boat and package.

I mostly run my 53MY at hull speed, 9 to 9 1/4 kts but 7kts must be painfully slow. The Deeres are also very small and light, I have to wonder how it affects the stability.

Considering the costs of repowering, using small engines is false economy. The labor, shafts, props, engine beds etc is the expensive part of the repower, saving $10k on each engine doesn’t make much sense. I went thru this went I repowered my 53. For a while I was considering 6BTAs until i did the math and realized using 6CTAs was only going to cost an extra 10/15% of the overall repower. And the B series woudl have resulted in a 9kts cruise… not 7kts! With the C series I can cruise at 17kts if I need or want to. No brainer.

That 50YF has to be real cheap to be worth looking at

And… unless stabilized she s going to be a roller at 7kts!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

It has outriggers for paravanes. No stabilizers. I’m a slow kinda guy but am concerne how it would ride at that speed. Are these boats considered semi displacement or a planning hull. I know all the Grand Banks are semi displacement. I wonder how the hull shape of the Hatteras differs from the Grand Banks? I looked at it and seems in great shape. Part of the port side deck seems soft but other than that it’s beautiful. It’s at united yacht sales in San Carlos. Mexico. Stretched to 55’

This is a Hatteras? A 50 YF? Built long (LONG) ago?
    With a mast and paravanes? Stretched to 55?
    And your NOT pulling our legs?
    I need some pictures (or better drugs) to put this in my mind better.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    This is a Hatteras? A 50 YF? Built long (LONG) ago? With a mast and paravanes? Stretched to 55?And your NOT pulling our legs?I need some pictures (or better drugs) to put this in my mind better.
    It’s a 1967 yacht fish stretched to 55’ supposedly done by Hatteras. The outriggers look pretty big for just flopper stoppers but kinda small for paravanes. Would a 50’ Hatteras need flopperstoppers at anchor?Take a look at united yacht sales in San Carlos Mexico. I would imagine with 300hp it could do 8kts without too much trouble. How much throttle DD need to run at 8 knots?

Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

She is pretty. Not my cup of tea.

Well, Good luck on your decisions.
    Survey her well and stay safe.