Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1971 36c

1971 36c

I haven’t been on in awhile, actually had trouble logging on. But, a question for anyone out there with a 36c.
    Has anyone ever had a problem with water in fuel in original saddle tanks. We have owned the Kathy L since 1983
    have always had this problem, especially in the port tank. I have checked to make sure the vent lines still have a loop, changed Orings in filler caps. Had the fuel polished numerous times
    Still have the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John,
    Kathy L

Re: 1971 36c

Had a similar problem on our 45 year old Bertram.
    Water comes under the fuel fill at the deck. Dribbles down to the top of the fill hose.
    Our clamps had long ago rusted out but the way the hose was secured, it kept in place.
    Eventually, the hose loosened up and allowed water to enter the top of the fill hose, into the tank.

Check your fill hose / tube connects.

Also the fill/vent/draw/return and sender plates on the tank top. Leaking windows, stanchions, bilge vents and the deck-hull joint can leak water in, to sit on top of the tanks.

Thru the many years of working on some ole boats, Never witnessed bilge water leak into a fuel tank, only from above.

Also from my experience, don't ad snake oils to the fuel to rid the water.

Which 36C? First gen, 2nd?

Vents, fuel coolers? Which engines and powertrain? Factory, repower?

We'll need more specifics to know what your situation is.

And Ralph is 100% correct. Additives that emulsify water run it through your fuel system. Water has the exact same effect as sand. I have lots of scored hardware in my "museum" to prove it.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

A '71 36C, the first 36, like we have. I think fuel is getting under the deck where the fill flange is, and running down the fill hose. Like Ralph said.

I suspected my fuel cooler till I swapped engines / tanks. Problem stayed in our aft tank.
    I always run the engines from different tanks.

After many years, I assume the OP has tried this. Or???

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll check out the fill hose connections.
    As far as gen 1 or 2, I’m not sure s/n 36c387. Re powered in 2005 from gas to Cummins 5.9 QSB’s at 330HP, done by me, and ZF transmission, replaced vents with Slane modified vents.
    Owner before me around 1982 added a third center 100 gal monel tank, no problem with this one. Does anyone know how the baffles are configured in the original fiberglass tanks?

John,
    Kathy L

Thanks I did, Kathy L is first gen!

I think mine is 36C-391- a few hulls after yours. Originally a gas boat, then repowered with Cat 3116s, which were kind of a disaster, and then again with Cummins B series. They seem to be the ideal engines for that hull.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I think mine is 36C-391- a few hulls after yours. Originally a gas boat, then repowered with Cat 3116s, which were kind of a disaster, and then again with Cummins B series. They seem to be the ideal engines for that hull.
    Yes Jim they are. The 34 and 36 are similar and my 34 with 270 HP Cummins cruse fairly fast and economically. The big factor is the torque the 6 BTA’s produce. Perfectly matched to what the 34 and 36 c’s need.

Also above what these engines achieve is kinda a waste. The 34 hits a wall at 31 MPH and lays over. The 36 same but at 33 MPH. But also pretty cool smoking smaller center consoles thinking they were going to pass you and then have to give up!😂😂
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP