Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Eastern US proposed coastal speed limit

The Gulf Stream is 80 miles offshore from Savannah, and there are some very expensive boats purchased for fishing that day's mission. There is not a chance this gets enforced around here. Is this a rule in search of a problem? We have lots of tides and shoals to slow the speeders down inshore.
    Last edited by carolinacoast; 08-12-2022 at 05:24 PM.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Auto fines based on AIS snitch program. Just wait and see.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag930 View Post
    ... No way this gets any traction, less serious consideration....
    Oh yeah, the gummint never enforces unreasonable restrictions. Like say, banning fishing for mako sharks.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

This has been in place for vessels 65+ in Florida for many years. Not sure I have ever heard of any whale strikes ever reported locally. If they change the requirements to vessels 35’+ it will kill the offshore boating industry. True logic has left the building on this one. Because of a few the rest of us have to endure the pain….remember that kid in Kindergarten who had no common sense and ruined the fun for the rest of the class? It’s because of “that kid” the rest of us have to endure crazy laws like this…. You cant regulate stupid.
    Best regards,
    --
    David

This follows a long-established pattern across federal agencies, where environmentalists use regulations and enforcement to accomplish their wish list when it couldn't be done under normal free market or constitutional means.

In DC, the (thoroughly unconstitutional) National Park Service refused to offer a lease or even a concessionaire contract for the former Tommy Long's Anacostia Marina. It was the only place with a travel lift at the dead end of the Potomac. If you had a 15' or bigger beam, with Anacostia Marina closed for good, it's at least a 100 mile cruise to the first marina that could haul you. Owners of smaller boats can drive 15 miles south to Fort Washington Marina to be hauled.

Anyway, now Tommy Long's place is...get ready for it...a paddle board and kayak rental and launch site. The thinking is clearly "let's make icky powerboats so inconvenient they just don't come here."

Don't think they won't impose their iron-fist rules on you just because their ideas make zero practical sense. Environmentalism is a religion, and our federal government is riddled with its high priests.

I now love my 32 Flybridge Fisherman out of Beaufort NC even more. Seriously, this will really hurt the Beaufort/Morehead City area commercial and recreational fishermen ... but I expect many will just shut down their AIS and continue on.

So… all this to save a couple of wales yet it’s ok to kill tens of thousands of birds with wind farms…

The problem is that they re going to boost enforcement and not just using AIS whcih can be turned off but with patrols. NOAA wind be afraid to fly their planes to catch speeders.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by 1trout View Post
    I now love my 32 Flybridge Fisherman out of Beaufort NC even more. Seriously, this will really hurt the Beaufort/Morehead City area commercial and recreational fishermen ... but I expect many will just shut down their AIS and continue on.
    Wait until they rewrite the rules and turn you 32’ into a 40’…. :-/
    Best regards,
    --
    David

This government has completely run amuck 87000 IRS agents with guns shaking every last dime out of our pockets to coming up with draconian laws so you can’t practically use your boat. I’m waiting for the 55 mph national speed limit to come back. Pro this time it will be 35mph. So you can’t really go anywhere. It’s all about containment and control.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Hat52MY - where is this written? I did a quick search and could not find any such regulation in Florida. Just curious....

Quote Originally Posted by Hat52MY View Post
    This has been in place for vessels 65+ in Florida for many years. Not sure I have ever heard of any whale strikes ever reported locally. If they change the requirements to vessels 35’+ it will kill the offshore boating industry. True logic has left the building on this one. Because of a few the rest of us have to endure the pain….remember that kid in Kindergarten who had no common sense and ruined the fun for the rest of the class? It’s because of “that kid” the rest of us have to endure crazy laws like this…. You cant regulate stupid.