Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Eastern US proposed coastal speed limit

Re: Eastern US proposed coastal speed limit

Does that include the ICW?
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Does that include the ICW?
    Are there Right Whales in the ditch?

Other than boaters harassing whales and then getting broached, I have never heard of a private boat striking a coastal whale.
    Offshore Jax, Big ships suck up the whales and chop them up.

furz in der Luft

Another stinker for personal boats.
    As the manatee fiascos, this will be another costly waist of time and painful/wrongful enforcement on the recreational boater.

This is ridiculous.

I believe the limit was already there for larger ships but most likely ignored. I guess the feds are going to hire another 67000 armed agents to enforce it.

Brilliant move as usual… slowing ships down will just increase shipping delays and costs.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Crazy tree hugger concept!
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Reading through those documents that support this "option 5" (expanding 10knot limit to all boats >35ft, expanding the zone out to 200 miles off the coast and making compliance mandatory and enforceable) is pretty shocking. The government agents that wrote this clearly only have degrees in environmental "science" and not not a lick of time on a boat on the Atlantic!
    The fact that they conclude that slowing us down will save money in fuel (for boaters that are too stupid to realize faster burns more fuel?), reduce climate change, reduce underwater noise pollution and save the 5 whales that have been hit by boats between 35-65ft from florida to Maine since 2008 is a WIN, WIN, WIN no brainer is frightning.
    Cheers,
    Eric
    BREAKAWAY 1990 Hatteras 52CMY

Regulators gotta regulate.

Congress passes unconstitutional laws that say "Executive Branch Agency X shall do whatever it deems necessary to achieve our desired goals" and they're off to the races.

And having worked for a federal agency, I can assure you that commenting is fairly pointless. They're required to solicit for comments, but they're not required to pay any heed to comments received.

Funny how the line ends at the Florida border. Happy to live here!!!

On the other hand, this is the most insane maritime law suggestion I can recall in my entire life. No way this gets any traction, less serious consideration.