Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Cruisair 230v 16k BTU bad compressor R-22

Recently the salon a/c unit on our 1981 Hatt went out on us. The unit is a split system and was installed around 1998. Cruisair R Series. The compressor started short cycling and was pulling about 16 amps by itself. Had the system tested by a local marine a/c and found the compressor to be bad. Every other part of the system is working fine. No leaks etc. I would prefer to keep the system set up the way it is and just replace the compressor. Is that possible? If so where would I be able to purchase the compressor? I really don’t want to replace the entire set up since only the compressor is bad. Thanks in advance!

Re: Cruisair 230v 16k BTU bad compressor R-22

I had a similar AC compressor fail. The local Hvac guy that takes are of my boat checked it out and felt he could just replace the compressor. I don’t know for sure where he got it from but I’m sure an HVAC person could find one. There may be an earlier thread about this that could tell you. They took out condenser so he could take it to his shop to solder in the new compressor the reinstalled condenser and recharged the system. There are other opinions about this as to whether you should replace the compressor or replace the whole system. I know for me this has worked well with half or less the cost of a new condenser. Over two years and working fine. Like I said check previous posts about failed compressors. Good luck.

From a different forum. Compressor may be a Tecumseh and may be available from United Refrigeration on line or from Granger. You will need compressor model number and manufacturer. Usually on compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lmcruiser View Post
    From a different forum. Compressor may be a Tecumseh and may be available from United Refrigeration on line or from Granger. You will need compressor model number and manufacturer. Usually on compressor.
    Thanks!! I’ll check the compressor for model numbers and details.

Pretty much any refrigeration/hvac supply house should be able to source the compressor if they don't have one in stock. I've also had decent luck finding compressors on ebay. You should be able to get the compressor numbers off of the tag on the compressor. May be painted over and need to be scraped off to see.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

I have the tecumseh # AK147ET-009-A4/ AKA8515EXD 230v for 16K , my original was replaced with is one years ago. .....Hope this helps ...............Pat

Quote Originally Posted by doc g View Post
    I have the tecumseh # AK147ET-009-A4/ AKA8515EXD 230v for 16K , my original was replaced with is one years ago. .....Hope this helps ...............Pat
    Doc G this is a huge help! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hat43c1981 View Post
    Doc G this is a huge help! Thanks!
    Thanks again Doc G! The compressor info you replied with was exactly what I needed. I was able to locate two, new compressors online and received them this week. One to replace the salon unit that crapped out and one to keep for future needs. For all who might need this info on the Cruisair split units. The compressor model numbers Doc G provided are spot on for the exact replacement compressor.

9. Re: Cruisair 230v 16k BTU bad compressor R-22

May I ask where you found the compressors? I need one too. They seem to still be available from Tecumseh (about $600) and also an Asian one for $300. Which way did you go? Happy? Thanks!