Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Detroit Diesels

Re: Detroit Diesels

The exhaust manifold maintenance I was referring to is to remove them, and reinstall them so they stay sealed at the head. All four of mine were showing developing leaks. Was mostly due to failed gaskets over time. Small leaks will eventually become big leaks. So they were removed, surfaces checked, dry sections cleaned of all corrosion (area where the pain burns off), repainted dry section with high temp paint, and reinstalled.

Mechanic did not mention any other service they might ever require.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Neil,

Thanks for that info on the 471N manifolds. I will take a better look when I get over there today or tomorrow. Have you serviced (or removed) yours? I am guessing (hoping) if they are water cooled that they are NOT raw water cooled.

Years ago, on my old gasoline inboards, I'd toss those risers and manifolds every 5 years or plan to replace the engine soon after if I didn't replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by neildeb2 View Post
    I have the same boat. My 471Ns have water cooled exhaust manifolds. I'd be surprised if yours were different. Look under the manifolds. You should see a coolant drain cock..

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    IMO, Always lean to the 71s.
    The 92s liner O rings keep coolant in its place but can be a problem issue. When they do fail, it requires a near complete engine tear down to repair.
    Doing this right now actually.

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 9.48.55 AM.jpg
    David Moore
    1973 Hatteras 58 Yacht Fisherman
    Whimsy

Charleston, SC.