Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Head north during summer months? (May - Oct)

For the boaters who are docked in Florida, what do most do during summer months? Do they leavecthere boat docked in Florida? If so, how is boat properly maintained? Do most boaters take their boat north for summer? Or do they leave there boat on the hard in Florida? For those whobput there boat on the hard are you having to pay for 2 dockages, your regular slip rent in order to keep for next winter and your dry storage?

Re: Head north during summer months? (May - Oct)

From an insurance perspective having the boat north during hurricane season opens up more options and wild lower costs over year round Florida coverage

It comes down to personal preferences but yes, if you have an annual dockage contract you pay year round trip whether the boat is there or not

Insurance companies do not like absentee owners…
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

My Geico policy allows me to be in Florida anytime of year as long as I am on the boat, otherwise I have to be north of Cumberland Island Georgia, after June 1st
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I'm up in Michigan and have two neighbors that are from Florida.
    One drove his boat up to summer here. The other bought his boat here and so is staying here for the summer.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

I stay here with my boat all summer and winter (and spring and fall)

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    My Geico policy allows me to be in Florida anytime of year as long as I am on the boat, otherwise I have to be north of Cumberland Island Georgia, after June 1st
    Same here.... I just moved from CT to St. Pete... next summer I plan to cruise Maine... assuming life cooperates... New England in the summer is a special place on earth....
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL