Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Slips in SW Florida

Looking to moving my Hatteras to SW Florida for Winters (Nov - April). Does anyone have suggestions on the better marinas. Budget is around $1,200/month. Also what constitutes a live aboard? We would like a place to go in Florida for a week or two at a time.

2. Re: Slips in SW Florida

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetacres1318 View Post
    Looking to moving my Hatteras to SW Florida for Winters (Nov - April). Does anyone have suggestions on the better marinas. Budget is around $1,200/month. Also what constitutes a live aboard? We would like a place to go in Florida for a week or two at a time.
    Is that like a 30’ Hatteras? You must have missed the news that Florida is now the most expensive state to live in.

Re: Slips in SW Florida

I'd suggest starting with Craigslist. So many moved to FL during the shutdown and many of those stretched their budget to do so. Those with variable rate mortgages are now paying double interest and double insurance from just two years ago. So, they're willing to rent the dock just to stay solvent. Marinas have seemed a bit more friendly, and empty, the last couple months as well as we bum around.

https://sarasota.craigslist.org/boa/...513706412.html
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

I live in SW Florida and it's extremely difficult to find dockage here for larger boats. Not sure what size you need, but most marinas have a waiting list and are going to be higher $$$ than you might expect.

Fortunately we live on a deep water canal, so we can keep our girl behind the house. A few people may rent space behind there homes, but many communities do not allow homeowners to rent their dock space to 3rd parties.

You might want to check Ft. Myers City dock. Last I heard they had a limited # of slips and they do allow live-aboards. Nice downtown area as far as restaurants and things to do, but the marina is run down, has fixed docks and no security to speak of.

If you have any specific questions, you can PM me and I'll try to help out where I can.

If you re only staying a week or two at a time, you are not live aboard. Liveaboard is typically full time year round

$1200 is going to be tough especially on a seasonal basis. I only pay $1400 incl power but average 50’ slip in SE Florida is about $1800/2000 plus power. City (mis)managed marina…

You can sometimes find slips behind homes for rent but most of the time they don’t allow staying aboard at all.

Good luck in your search, use active captain to find as many marinas as possible and call
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat