Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Does anyone have info on the 1979 58 MY Shaitan in New York?

Ha Ha now we’re looking at another boat when we don’t fix the one we have. Again amazing what people will go through instead of fixing a problem.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Ha Ha now we’re looking at another boat when we don’t fix the one we have. Again amazing what people will go through instead of fixing a problem.
    LOL I prefer to have a long "to do" list. Job security.
    It's a project for sure, I'm sure the pictures of what is not done is just a fraction of the unfinished areas.

It could be a deal for someone looking for a project if the motors are actually good and depending on the actual condition of the paint / hull / topside etc.

Looks like all the air conditioners have been removed so that could be a huge expense just by itself.

I'm thinking it needs an owner that is retired and likes 3 year projects.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    The part of those pictures that is a real red flag are the headliners. They show lots large brown stains everywhere both upstairs and down. That means the balsa deck coring above them is saturated and needs to be re-cored. A normal water leak doesn't stain the headliner that badly, the dark brown is coming from rotten wood. It is difficult to overstate how big of a job that is. Both in terms of $$ and in terms of the boat being torn apart for the forseeable future.

I would pass even at $50k. Let's say you buy it, and you spend probably $75k+ on the coring, and you spend another $50k on miscellaneous stuff that crops up. You then have $175k in the boat, but for the first couple years you own it you will be working on it or someone else will. A nice example of one of those is like $225k, and during that time dockage, general maintenance, insurance, etc., on a boat you can't use will eat up the difference. Why not just buy a nice one and go boating on day 1? I don't get the logic.

If you like a project, trust me, a 50'+ boat will keep you busy regardless. I bought the nicest one I could find at the time I was shopping and there's still always something or another to do.

LOL I prefer to have a long "to do" list. Job security.
    It's a project for sure, I'm sure the pictures of what is not done is just a fraction of the unfinished areas.

It could be a deal for someone looking for a project if the motors are actually good and depending on the actual condition of the paint / hull / topside etc.

Looks like all the air conditioners have been removed so that could be a huge expense just by itself.

I'm thinking it needs an owner that is retired and likes 3 year projects.
    Those 58's have 7 or 8 a/c units depending on whether it came with the air conditioned aft deck option. At +/- $3500 apiece that's another $30k just in air conditioning compressors, not including install, on top of everything else. I didn't catch that looking at the listing the first time. You're going to end up with a $500k boat that's still worth the same $225k by the time you're done.

I'll pm my address. Just send bundles of cash and we can guarantee the same outcome.

National liquidators probably stripped the boat of anything worth taking. They are the kiss of death for these old boats.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    The part of those pictures that is a real red flag are the headliners. They show lots large brown stains everywhere both upstairs and down. That means the balsa deck coring above them is saturated and needs to be re-cored. A normal water leak doesn't stain the headliner that badly, the dark brown is coming from rotten wood. It is difficult to overstate how big of a job that is. Both in terms of $$ and in terms of the boat being torn apart for the forseeable future.

I would pass even at $50k. Let's say you buy it, and you spend probably $75k+ on the coring, and you spend another $50k on miscellaneous stuff that crops up. You then have $175k in the boat, but for the first couple years you own it you will be working on it or someone else will. A nice example of one of those is like $225k, and during that time dockage, general maintenance, insurance, etc., on a boat you can't use will eat up the difference. Why not just buy a nice one and go boating on day 1? I don't get the logic.

If you like a project, trust me, a 50'+ boat will keep you busy regardless. I bought the nicest one I could find at the time I was shopping and there's still always something or another to do.

I did see the headliner issues, those are probably expensive to replace just by themselves (on top of the coring) I guess I was thinking optimistically that perhaps the staining was from before the guy started working on it. But there is nothing to say it hasn't happened while the boat sat for 3 years.

Also probably why the boat keeper mentioned they might just scrap it.
    Someone would really need to do a thorough inspection and see what is really happening and maybe get the bank to PAY them to take if off their hands LOL.

Those 58's have 7 or 8 a/c units depending on whether it came with the air conditioned aft deck option. At +/- $3500 apiece that's another $30k just in air conditioning compressors, not including install, on top of everything else. I didn't catch that looking at the listing the first time. You're going to end up with a $500k boat that's still worth the same $225k by the time you're done.
    Yeah, I thought it was only 5, didn't consider the extra length = more units.
    Damn shame this one is probably going to the scrap yard.

What would a bank have to pay to have it scrapped ? Or do boat junk yards take boats for free?

What would a bank have to pay to have it scrapped ? Or do boat junk yards take boats for free?
    If it's actually a bank that owns it there's a 99% chance they'll send it to National Liquidators or one of the other auction companies they have a contract with and dispose of it that way. I almost never see financial institutions make direct deals with an individual like you're contemplating. They don't want the liability. And don't get me wrong...somebody will buy that thing for $50k, I just don't think it should be you because it doesn't make sense.

If it's actually a bank that owns it there's a 99% chance they'll send it to National Liquidators or one of the other auction companies they have a contract with and dispose of it that way. I almost never see financial institutions make direct deals with an individual like you're contemplating. They don't want the liability. And don't get me wrong...somebody will buy that thing for $50k, I just don't think it should be you because it doesn't make sense.
    Yes it is National Liquidators. My bad, when I said the "bank" is should have been more specific.

Yeah someone will buy it.