Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Interior teak refurbish to original finish?

Looking at older motor yachts, mainly 80’s vintages, and wondering if when one is come upon that the interior wood has been wallpapered or painted over if anybody has ever tackled trying to refurbish the wood to its original finish with any luck? Or if anyone has tackled one of these boats and had the wood paneling all replaced back to original? If anyone has done this or knows of a project like this that was tackled and can provide any feedback on the cost and specifics of such a project any info would be appreciated. I know this must be a monumental task to undertake, and depending on the degree of painting and wallpapering done would determine the difficulty of the task. I am mainly interested if knowing if anyone has tackled it successfully, the degree of difficulty and there results. Thanks for any feedback. Much appreciated.

Re: Interior teak refurbish to original finish?

Have a friend with a 50 MY that did that successfully. He is on the forum sometimes, if he does not chime in I will get in touch with him and have him PM you.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

In this thread, the guy sanded down the entire master strm in his MY. Really nice. Something tells me you'd have to sand to get all the wallpaper glue remnants off...but don't know. Still would be easier than sanding down with old poly on it:
    https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...er+refinishing

Supposedly, there's nice teak under the wallpaper in the heads. I won't get to it this Summer, but would like to eventually get that old covering off and finish the wood with poly...if it's even under there. At least you can shut the door and isolate the mess in the heads. I'd really hate to sand down anything in more open areas now that the boat is all cleaned up.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Thanks Scarlet.