Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Late 80s cockpit version of 54’ motoryacht??

There was a cockpit motoryacht for sale on the East coast a couple years ago that was basically a cockpit version of a 54’ motoryacht. I really liked the look of the boat and have never seen one since. I have searched online for information on that model and have not come up with much. I thought I remember it being listed as a 59’ cockpit motoryacht but I can’t find anything resembling it. If anyone has a better idea on what exactly the cockpit version of the 54’ was I sure would appreciate the info. Just thought it was a great size and always love the utility of a cockpit. Thanks.

Re: Late 80s cockpit version of 54’ motoryacht??

Hatteras of Liquordale was famous for purchasing up new Hatts and modifying them with a cockpit and altered bridge deck lay outs. re-selling a larger and supposed more fancy, Hatteras.

It is possible you were looking at one of those bastards.

I'm assisting on an original 65 MY that now is a 74 CPMY by HOL.
    What a mess.

I own a 1986 54MY with 8 foot cockpit extension added by St Augustine Boat Works in the mid 1990;s.

I had a 43MY and wanted a 53 or 58 YF for the cockpit. Cockpit makes swimming, diving, and tender ops much easier than the MY configuration.

When the 63 and 67 CPMYs came out, they cost about $1m more than the 54MY so the $250k addition of the cockpit made financial sense.

The advantage of my boat over the factory CPMY's is the 7 foot depth of the cockpit for storage. I have 500 gals of fuel, water maker, dive gear, 2 deep freezes, a kayak and jet ski storage in the garage.

My rudders and shafts are in the same place as the 54MY. I have never driven the true CPMYs but have run a 53 Hatteras and my boat handles much like the 53'.

I love the boat, owned it for 12 years and am making capex with another 10 years of ownership planned.

If you find another like this, give it serious consideration.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54MY with ext)
    Tampa

Ok interesting, I’ve heard of some of the boats having cockpits added, I didn’t realize it was done so commonly or carelessly. I definitely would think good to avoid an outside the factory structural change boat. This one looked like a factory set up? But I don’t really know. I have a pic of the boat I am referring to somewhere from the posting I saved I will try to find it and attach it to the thread so someone can hopefully identify if it was a Hatteras model or aftermarket addition cockpit. Thanks for info.

Hi Bruce, saw your reply after responding to first response. Interesting. Do you have any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle View Post
    I own a 1986 54MY with 8 foot cockpit extension added by St Augustine Boat Works in the mid 1990;s.

I had a 43MY and wanted a 53 or 58 YF for the cockpit. Cockpit makes swimming, diving, and tender ops much easier than the MY configuration.

When the 63 and 67 CPMYs came out, they cost about $1m more than the 54MY so the $250k addition of the cockpit made financial sense.

The advantage of my boat over the factory CPMY's is the 7 foot depth of the cockpit for storage. I have 500 gals of fuel, water maker, dive gear, 2 deep freezes, a kayak and jet ski storage in the garage.

My rudders and shafts are in the same place as the 54MY. I have never driven the true CPMYs but have run a 53 Hatteras and my boat handles much like the 53'.

I love the boat, owned it for 12 years and am making capex with another 10 years of ownership planned.

If you find another like this, give it serious consideration.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54MY with ext)
    Tampa

I looked at a 54 + 8 around 2010 as a replacement for my 58yf. IMO a very nice compromise. My favorite is the 67CPMY but it was too much money and too much boat. 54 has the newer look , more beam than the 58 and less draft. Felt like a much bigger boat.

Look here for factory model list

https://www.samsmarine.com/brochures/
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Yes I like the little more beam on the 54’, and like the lines as well, the one I saw I thought the cockpit looked very appropriate and proportionate on that boat, and I also though a good size without being too much boat. A good balance, that’s why it really peaked my interest. Thanks Sky for the model list. After looking at that I am thinking it was most likely and aftermarket add on. I found a couple pics of the boat I will try to post them and maybe somebody can give me more specifics on it. Thanks.

Here is a pic of the boat that looked like a 54’ with a cockpit.
    Attached Images

Here is another pic of the boat. Just hoping someone can shed some light on specific model, or if a custom added cockpit for sure? Thanks.
    Attached Images