Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

120vac panel voltmeter not showing voltage

On my 1986 36 sportfish my AC voltmeter on the Elec panel is not registering any power. The boat has plenty of juice. It has a toggle switch to check voltage for Generator, ship service, and air conditioning. None are showing volts. I even started generator to check for voltage and generator ran but not showing voltage. Thinking there may be a fuse for this meter and wondering if anyone knows where I may find it. I have never opened up the main electrical panel and I was a little hesitant to open and just start poking around….. Hoping fuse, but maybe gauge/meter failed? Any help appreciated.

Re: 120vac panel voltmeter not showing voltage

Why not put a digital voltmeter on the Hatteras panel volt meter and see if there is any voltage reaching it. If you see voltage on the DVM but not the panel voltmeter, then the panel meter is probably defective and needs to be replaced.

All original Hatt devices; volt meters have a fuse. AGC and similar fuses do go bad vs blow from an error.
    Now,, Where is that fuse for your particular model?? If you are hesitant to go in there and explore, tap on CD Piner (cpiner@hatterasyachts.com).
    I am happy to report that C D is still at Hatteras support and is well.
    I have an on going question for him on an ole 65. He is asking one of the original engineers from that era for details on my question. I was really worried about ole Hatt support lately.

Happy to brag on this, as the factory is building other floating objects beyond my description.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 07-04-2022 at 07:20 PM.

As originally stated, I’ve never opened up main electrical panel to access behind to put a digital volt meter on wires leading to AC volt meter, so without being clear on how to properly access the back of that panel and not disturb any other wiring, I was looking for a clear answer on if there is an associated fuse. Captain Ralph seems to think there is. So I hope that is all it is. I would think fuse is behind the panel. My panel is in 3 sections on hinges. Not sure if all three open together or separate? Panels are individually screwed shut on right side, and screwed to a common frame as well. Or if I should be particularly careful while opening. Want to proceed carefully as everything on boat is powered up and working fine now, just not showing voltage on meter? Will try cpiner if needed thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadKuch View Post
    As originally stated, I’ve never opened up main electrical panel to access behind to put a digital volt meter on wires leading to AC volt meter, so without being clear on how to properly access the back of that panel and not disturb any other wiring, I was looking for a clear answer on if there is an associated fuse. Captain Ralph seems to think there is. So I hope that is all it is. I would think fuse is behind the panel. My panel is in 3 sections on hinges. Not sure if all three open together or separate? Panels are individually screwed shut on right side, and screwed to a common frame as well. Or if I should be particularly careful while opening. Want to proceed carefully as everything on boat is powered up and working fine now, just not showing voltage on meter? Will try cpiner if needed thanks.
    It is O K to be nervous when working around live panels.
    If you are concerned around electricity, find a tech that has already been zapped a few times.
    Also, you can just turn shore power off. Open it up and look around for a few minutes with a flash light. Any fuse holder or in-line fuse should be obvious.

If you have the original Hatteras owner's manual for your boat, it may have some information about how to open up the panel. I would also suggest wearing leather gloves.

Update: figured out that I open panel sections individually by unscrewing screws from black panel face fronts not far right side aluminum frame. Panel opened up allowing access to back of voltage meter. I checked wires connected to volt meter with tester and showing solid power to volts meter. As suspected because boat power seemed fine, I am pretty sure panel voltage meter has failed. Sams looking for replacement for me. Also wonder if anyone has updated one of these with a more modern (accurate and reliable) digital version that will fit in the space of the old one? Any feedback greatly appreciated and thanks for help!

I have Blue Sea digital meters which I highly recommend. Volts, Amps, Watts and Cycles. You'll have to see if the real estate is available to mount them. Mine are above the panel in the bulkhead.
    Attached Images
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Thanks sea Eric, that’s a nice looking set up.

Hi SeaEric, I have a three way selector switch where I use the same voltmeter to check AC volts on either the ship service, separate 30amp air conditioning service, or generator service, do you know if your digital AC voltmeter is compatible with the selector switch setup?