Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

screw on rubber moisture cap for engine start button

Does anyone know if the screw on rubber moisture cap for the engine start button are available? I need two, one for each start button.

Re: screw on rubber moisture cap for engine start button

I did something that made it very easy to recognize what you were pushing. Start buttons were black, horns or gray and shut down is in red. It makes it very simple especially when you’re in emergency situation.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Where did you get them?
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Thank you for directing me to West Marine. I was able to order the screw on start button caps online. I am new to this site; and quickly finding that fellow Hatteras owners are very helpful. I am glad to be associated with you.

Found two on Sams. Might have to call for the black one.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeTom View Post
    Thank you for directing me to West Marine. I was able to order the screw on start button caps online. I am new to this site; and quickly finding that fellow Hatteras owners are very helpful. I am glad to be associated with you.
    Er, Well, Ah, Oh, Um,,, I'm not a Hatt owner.
    I figure I have spilled enough blood in Hatt bilges as a service tech, And have not ticked off everybody (close at times) here, but I do try to be of help when I can.
    I also learn lots here to pass on to others.
    Good luck on your projects and keep us up on all.
    We like to watch..

Tangential question: why do boats have start and stop buttons when they also have key switches?

The reason I ask is that I've had two relatively big boats that were gas powered (Chris Craft Commander 42 and Roamer 46), and both used standard 3-position key switches (OFF-ON-START). Of course, the START position sends a relatively low current signal to the starter solenoid, which energizes the starter.

I had a Detroit Diesel-powered Constellation 52 that came with 2-position key switches and START and STOP buttons, but IIRC DDs have stop solenoids that need to be energized to shut down the engines, and the STOP position on a key switch does the opposite by de-energizing everything. But that doesn't explain why it has a START button. Why not just use a 3-position switch to START and have a STOP button?

Which brings me to the real reason I asked: the Cummins 6CTAs I installed in my Roamer has a 3-position fuel shutoff solenoid: ENERGIZE, LOCK, and OFF. Turning on the ignition activates the low-amp (1a) LOCK portion of the solenoid, which keeps fuel flowing while the engine is running. The ENERGIZE coil has a higher amp requirement (20-30a) to pull the fuel solenoid open and is activated by the START button or key switch on a Cummins marine panel (they can have either). When you turn the key to the OFF position, it deactivates the fuel solenoid and shuts the engine off. No STOP button required.

So why do so many big boats have START buttons instead of just using 3-position key switches? On my Roamer, I've got it wired to start and stop with just the key switch. But if there's a good reason to have start buttons, now's the time to install them.

I am only guessing, but the run to the starter is very long and the push button Cole -Hersee switches can probably handle more amps and are very reliable. And colored caps are very good idea.
    Last edited by jmooney; 07-20-2022 at 10:07 AM.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Simple explanation is a push button is cheaper than a 3 way switch
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.