Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Detroit Diesel service items

The shafts on both my 871 raw water pumps snapped

Quote Originally Posted by ian w View Post
    Stuck impellers on old/unused pumps.
    Fix em quick. Season will be here any day soon..

Quote Originally Posted by ian w View Post
    In my opinion there are 2 factors on engines. The first is the internal condition of the engine itself. Big factor. Overlooked 2nd factor (I am guilty) is what I call the bolt on stuff. The 2nd factor stuff can both ruin/prevent a trip leaving most of us waiting on a mechanic and parts but can also cause premature failure of factor 1. I have decided to go through as much as logically makes sense to establish a new baseline. This will in no way guarantee trouble free boating but sure make my odds a bit better. I hope!
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Sea trial was yesterday. Engines were started the day before. Mechanic points out "new" oil leak on front of starboard blower housing. Sure enough there it is. But I remember a light oil leak on the outboard aft side that appeared to be coming from up high somewhere but could never figure it out. This had to be it. Anyway we decided to keep an eye on it during the run with oil rag stuffed under it. Not another drop. So I'll keep an eye on that.
    Full RPM's were 2380 and 2400. Temps at cruise were 165-170. No leaks of any kind. I had tightened up the stuffing boxes to keep the bilge dry during clean and paint. Hit them with IR gun and they were at 85 and 100 degrees. Starboard side dry and port side a little water.
    Oil samples pulled and will have to wait for results. I spent the whole rest of the day putting the boat back together. Ready to cruise!
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP