Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Detroit Diesel service items

Presently going through a few things on starboard engine due to age issues. below is a list of what will be recent on both engines. Internals on starboard are new long block with 1050 hours. Port is at 950 hours after in frame rebuild. Trying to catch up on all the rest that is either original or various vintages.

8-92TI's

New Turbos
    Intercoolers serviced
    Exhaust manifolds surfaced and reinstalled
    Heat exchanger service
    Injectors pulled and tested
    And the usual impellers, oil, filters, etc.

What else is a service items that typically over time will need attention? This winter I'm pulling all the floorboards and that's the time to get stuff done.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Re: Detroit Diesel service items

Don't just assume new turbos, you may not need them. There's a particular spec for how much out of tolerance the housings can be from exhaust erosion before they actually have to be replaced. The way to do it is send them for inspection and they gauge them out. If the erosion isn't a problem, they can rebuild them with new seals, etc., and it's a lot cheaper for the same result. New turbos are +/- $2500-$3k apiece. Rebuilding them is like $800 apiece.

Outboard side turbo flange was swiss cheese. Major leak. New turbo's were $1950 each. Also goal is to get everything in as good a shape as we can. That's why I'm trying to figure out any typical service items we may have missed. Boat will be worked on for a few months so it's an opportunity to address as much as we can. Right now the boat is down at a time we would like to be using it.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Outboard side turbo flange was swiss cheese. Major leak. New turbo's were $1950 each. Also goal is to get everything in as good a shape as we can. That's why I'm trying to figure out any typical service items we may have missed. Boat will be worked on for a few months so it's an opportunity to address as much as we can. Right now the boat is down at a time we would like to be using it.
    I guess my inner cheapass was showing. When I had to make the same decision as you about nursing stuff along vs. just biting the bullet, I made the same decision as you. If you're cool with the money and just want it to run right, then you have the right mindset. May as well replace the belts and check the date stamps on the oil hoses too. If the oil lines are original I would replace, I had one blow on another boat and wound up rebuilding the engine because of it. It was my own stupid fault, the alarm bells were broken when I got that boat, I had the replacements sitting in a box on the dining room table for a year but hadn't gotten around to it yet.

A common problem on detroits is the thermostats get worn and gunky and will stick partially open. You can usually tell when that happens because the engine won't get up to operating temp until you throttle up. If they do that, I'd replace the thermostats. I put 4 new t-stats in and now both my engines will warm up to normal temps at idle and they stay pegged at 180 regardless of the throttle setting. Before that my port engine would never get up to temp unless you put the boat on plane. It's better for longevity to have consistent temps.
    Last edited by cww; 07-15-2022 at 07:51 PM.

Looking for other potential items that leak or wear out over time. Maybe I’ve covered all the basics. Seeking trouble free summer cruising as much as we can.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Presently going through a few things on starboard engine due to age issues. below is a list of what will be recent on both engines. Internals on starboard are new long block with 1050 hours. Port is at 950 hours after in frame rebuild. Trying to catch up on all the rest that is either original or various vintages.

8-92TI's

New Turbos
    Intercoolers serviced
    Exhaust manifolds surfaced and reinstalled
    Heat exchanger service
    Injectors pulled and tested
    And the usual impellers, oil, filters, etc.

What else is a service items that typically over time will need attention? This winter I'm pulling all the floorboards and that's the time to get stuff done.
    You covered pretty much most major items. Make sure the emergency air damper operates. This can sometimes get gunked up by old paint on the spring assembly at the intercooler.

When was last time fresh water pumps changed?
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Quote Originally Posted by JD5652 View Post
    You covered pretty much most major items. Make sure the emergency air damper operates. This can sometimes get gunked up by old paint on the spring assembly at the intercooler.

When was last time fresh water pumps changed?
    Don't know. Will inquire on these with mechanic. He has his guys do the work and then we do sea trial with him personally here to sign off that we are good to go. Think that happens Tuesday morning.

In January we pull the floor boards up to do port side intercooler, exhaust manifolds, and test injectors. Then we proceed with ER restoration and paint. But before that want to PM as much as is required.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Let the game begin!
    Attached Images
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Progress.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP