Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ozone generators

A little off topic, but I thought that a member of our resident brain trust may have used one of these to deodorize a boat.

Does anybody here have any direct experience using an ozone generator to eliminate musty odors? I recently bought an old 1974 Gibson Dove guitar that had spent a long time (20+ years) closed up in a case in someone's basement and it has a musty odor to it. Some older threads on musical instrument oriented websites mentioned that these units were good for solving the problem. I understand that they should only be used in unoccupied spaces. I plan on putting the guitar and case in my '99 F350 and letting it run overnight, hoping to kill 3 birds with one stone (my wet Labrador retrievers have added a certain fragrance to the truck over the past 24 year).

On a related note, I have an empty apartment in a 6 family house. The recently departed tenant has left behind a similar musty odor. Knowing that it shouldn't be used in occupied spaces, I'm wondering if its ok to use if other apartments in the same building are occupied. Its a basement apartment, so the only adjoining apartment is the one directly above it.

Hopefully someone here has personal experience using one of these devices. TIA
    Bob
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Re: Ozone generators

I believe research will tell you using one on a boat damages the rubber hoses! Not a good idea!

We’ve used them all the time in our Bed and breakfast and short term apartments. I haven’t seen any detrimental effects. I’ve also used one in a room with antique furniture we’ve bought that has a musty odor. Used car guys use them on smoker cars to kill the smell. I think the negatives are way overblown. Pot growers use them to kill the grow house smells. When I researched them originally they has plans to make your own on the grower sites. I run one on the boat a couple days a month to kill mold. My hoses are fine.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I have had one for years although I have not needed to use it after installing the Arid Bilge System (www.aridbilgesystems.com). It seemed to help in each of my small cabins below. I would run it for about 24 hours in each. The ozone odor is quite apparent. This short an application has not seemed to affect wiring or hoses. However after being shut up for months the musty odor permeates fabrics and bedding so a thorough airing afterwards is still needed.

I don't notice any Hatteras Smell on board any more, but once back home each article of clothing I took has a certain diesel tang immediately apparent until washing. Sort of an added memory.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

I have one and it's fantastic. Makes the inside of the boat smell brand new. I've been using one on every boat I've had for years, and never noticed any exploding rubber hoses, so I think that's just an old wives' tale.

I used one on one of my boats. It works well but only used once. I think the damage to rubber is from prolonged use. If the smell keeps coming back you need to address the issue. If it is a one time thing like smoking or mildew from sitting, etc I would think you are ok to use

To me the ozone generator is like a breath mint for your boat. Very effective but it does wear off. At least for dog scent on carpet. We are putting in our 2nd master stateroom carpet in (had 2 made) but after this going with some type of hard flooring. Otherwise a very effective device. I run ours about 4 times a year. After carpet is gone probably twice a year. Bad long term odors I bet the ozone is very effective, even if needing a few times .
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I was looking at a 53' in Port Huron, Mi and the owner told me he used them in the engine room to get rid of the diesel smell.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    To me the ozone generator is like a breath mint for your boat. Very effective but it does wear off. At least for dog scent on carpet. We are putting in our 2nd master stateroom carpet in (had 2 made) but after this going with some type of hard flooring. Otherwise a very effective device. I run ours about 4 times a year. After carpet is gone probably twice a year. Bad long term odors I bet the ozone is very effective, even if needing a few times .
    Well that's the thing about the dog scent and carpet, it'll keep coming back as long as you have the dog LOL

Any particular model recommendations?
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale