Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Detroit Turbo Parts Source

After 39 years the flange which connects to exhaust housing for the turbo charger on the stbd 671ti broke off. Will need to replace the housing or perhaps replacing the whole turbo might work. Any suggestions re sources for parts. Considering the boat's age and mine, used parts might make sense.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Re: Detroit Turbo Parts Source

Quote Originally Posted by Vincentc View Post
    After 39 years the flange which connects to exhaust housing for the turbo charger on the stbd 671ti broke off. Will need to replace the housing or perhaps replacing the whole turbo might work. Any suggestions re sources for parts. Considering the boat's age and mine, used parts might make sense.
    Turbo part number?
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

engine sn 06A0416797

I believe the turbo number is 5103838, I didn't see the number on the turbo, but didn't know where to look.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Usually, it's on a tag on the center housing. Bring your flashlight.

1970 36C375

Thanks
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

So far, the search does not go well.

Supply chain issues, they're telling me.

1970 36C375

The Lafayette office of these folks below were able to get me the large turbo clamps (rebuilt ones) for my 12V71 turbos.They had a rebuilder somewhere in Arizona with lots of turbo parts. I don't remember the guys name and no longer live in LA but it would be worth a call to one of their offices. They deal with alot of crew boats that still run Detroits for both mains and generators

https://www.marinesystemsinc.com/

When I needed one a few years ago for my 671tib it was near impossible to find since the housings tend to wear out. I believe there is a place in Ft. Lauderdale that can weld on new flanges

Quote Originally Posted by captcrunch View Post
    When I needed one a few years ago for my 671tib it was near impossible to find since the housings tend to wear out. I believe there is a place in Ft. Lauderdale that can weld on new flanges
    Try K and S Diesel in Harvey, LA. 504/362-2372

Thanks for the advice. I've been busy with my day job. Hope to get the turbo pulled soon and see just what parts are needed.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi