Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: WTH is going on at oceanbreeze?

Nothing to add about the company but if I were redoing my hvac I would def go the 2 chiller route. Yeah, pulling the old freon lines out and running the coolant lines will be a pita, but I really think it will be worth it for long-term reliability and maintenance of the system.
    The long runs of refrigeration lines in a marine environment full of vibrations and saltwater/air is just a recipe for problems imo. But at the time that's all they had really, so I don't blame any mfg for installing those types of systems, but given the current chiller technology I feel it's far superior from many aspects, reliability, ease of maintenance/repair, redundancy and power consumption/efficiency.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Joe sold the business. Don’t know anything about the new owners. Krush and I where working on a deal to buy it but we couldn’t come to terms. Joe was the main guy engineer and brain trust of the company his wife ran the books and accounting.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

My mechanic was a dealer too. He said the new owners were no longer making split systems. I needed a new unit and on his advice, paid the dometic tax. Was installed in 2 weeks though.
    Seems odd to buy a business (not at a distressed price-since forum members tried to buy it) and shut down a line of revenue and customers immediately. Please advise if this information is incorrect.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

It wasn’t a money thing as much timing Joes wife had enough of running the business (they were both in late 70’s) they had some very large contracts with Boeing for AC equipment. I suspect that’s what the new company was after and not the marine business. Those contracts were based on a personal contact he had a Boeing one of my worries was when he was gone so would the contracts. I’m kicking myself I didn’t do the deal.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacoast View Post
    My mechanic was a dealer too. He said the new owners were no longer making split systems. I needed a new unit and on his advice, paid the dometic tax. Was installed in 2 weeks though.
    Seems odd to buy a business (not at a distressed price-since forum members tried to buy it) and shut down a line of revenue and customers immediately. Please advise if this information is incorrect.
    I just received a quote from them for split units, no mention of no longer manufacturing but seeing all these new comments I'm quite reluctant to use them. On the other hand, the installer Flagship referred me to doesn't seem to be anymore reliable than OB, he quoted me for (5) self-contained units when the vessel only needs 4 and everyone of the units was 30% larger (compressor) than the original units, just don't understand the reasoning. I really want to go to the chiller units but $55k is absurd.
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Chillers require larger pile runs and perfect insulation or you will get condensation in the walls. That could cause mold and .are people sick. I work with a company here that is one of the best overall marine ac groups and he will not take on other people's mistakes or half done projects because he has too much going on already. He is a dometic dealer and always takes the time to go over the why and wherefore of his quotes. Be also seems to be on tike and budget most of the time.

I see a lot of half assed companies out there and don't even support things after the installation. They don't cary parts or do warranty service.

Beware of the bad ones.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

For what it's worth, I have quite a few Ocean Breeze units between a few boats of mine. Although I've had to change a few relays and timers over the past 7 years of owning them, support (Alex) has always been responsive and walked me through troubleshooting. No complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by scallywag View Post
    For what it's worth, I have quite a few Ocean Breeze units between a few boats of mine. Although I've had to change a few relays and timers over the past 7 years of owning them, support (Alex) has always been responsive and walked me through troubleshooting. No complaints.
    I haven't had great success with him, have caught him trying to slip some BS by me, I'm REALLY struggling to find comfort in ordering their product as my service experience has SUCKED, thus far. Then again, I'm not sure I'm having any better success with flagship. I am AMAZED at the difference in pricing we have been quoted between the 2 companies, more concerned with the major differences in the size units recommended, flagship says my salon needs (2) 36,000 self-contained, quoted me for (5) self-contained installed at the tune of $44k. UHHHH, $55k for chillers or $44k for self contained? I am certainly seeing why people don't bother with these companies and just turn to Dometic
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

As I may have mentioned earlier when I bought my 53MY back in 2003, the seller had recently replaced all four original crusair condensers with 4 Ocean Breeze condenser plus a an additional 9k condenser which I installed for the old downstairs galley a couple of years later. I only had to call OB a couple or times and got excellent advice on the phone. Too bad things have changed

As to Flagship, I ve have dealt with them for almost 5 years now:
    First to design and order my two 36k/5 AH chiller system. Steve was very helpful responding to every question I had about plumbing, set up etc. all components where shipped ahead of schedule, well packed in one big pallet. Every question I had was answered to quickly and accurately. Sometimes within minutes

After a couple of years one of my chillers developed a leak at one of the gauges. I pulled it and brought to them. Repaired after a few days and shipped back. I was able to meet them in person and see their facility

Then I ordered a big March pump back up for the 84 I ran. Got it in a couple days, again after a couple of e-mail exchange to check flow etc

Another instance last year was to order a 16k AH to add cooling to the skylounge of the 116 i run now. Same experience, excellent communications and shipped ahead of schedule

In addition at least two of my neighbors have ordered self contained units from them and have been very happy with them

I suspect the $55k quote came from an installer and including labor. Installing chillers while simple in theory is a time consuming affair. It took me about 8 or 10 days and in my case part of the boat had been gutted for the refit so no cabinetry to deal with. I would not be surprised if installing them on a sportfish would be a two week affair with two people. Figure 150 hours at $130 an hour.

Personally I am done with cruisair dometic. Their systems are way too complicated with expansive proprietary boards and controls. For instance their chiller system will lock you out if a HPF fault occurs more than x times. You get a nice “call for service” on the display. Only installers have the lengthy code combination you have to punch in to restart that chiller. Thankfully my guy gave me codes so I can clear it should it happen in the bahamas…

And there are many other quirks and things which are way too complex.

That said, I have to agree that it s hard to justify spending $50k on an AC refit. I would not have back then had it been that much.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Pascal, if you were refitting a smaller boat, and not going with chillers, you'd use Flagship again?
    Sounds like.