Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

WTH is going on at oceanbreeze?

Has anyone interacted with the company lately? I've been trying for a month to try to get a system developed and built and it has been an ABSOLUTE chit show. I can't understand half of the emails due to the language barrier, quotes for self-contained vs split vs chiller seem too difficult to understand, the split unit quote had 5 fan coils with 2 evap units, the voltage's didn't match up, unit BTU's were wrong, refrigerant wrong. I finally asked them to send someone to my vessel to discuss and compare the 3 different types and what would work best for us, I was leaning toward a chiller unit. Two poor english speaking gentleman show up, pull information from my units and essentially recommend going back to split units because "installation would be easier". I can appreciate that but that wasn't the only deciding factor and attempts to discuss with them proved futile. To top everything off after all this the new quote for the spilt units looks IDENTICAL to the first quote that had mismatched information throughout.

What about flagship? Any recent interactions?
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Re: WTH is going on at oceanbreeze?

Ocean breeze usually had good reputation. I only called them once, years ago, quick answers. The language issue is odd since they are north of the border aka the Miami dade county line . If it s bad before purchase, forget it

I got my chiller system from flagship 4 years ago. I ordered a pump and additional air handler for the chiller system on the the 116 i run a few months ago. Great service. I usually talk to Steve Brigham over there. Very helpful, he s a boater
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I got my second Ocean Breeze/Cruisair replacement unit a few months ago. They build to order and quoted 6 weeks, but it only took 3. English is not their first language, but we worked it out. Like you, the email quote was confusing and included replacing the air handlers, but we worked it out...$2,500 for a 16k unit was significantly less than Cruisair and it appears to be better quality. I wouldn't give up on them, they're pretty nice folks.

I bought an OceanBreeze compressor unit for my 53
    The installer supplied by the company did not know how to hook it up to the original Cruisair 3 knob controls
    Don’t know if this should be possible or not
    It cools brilliantly

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    I got my second Ocean Breeze/Cruisair replacement unit a few months ago. They build to order and quoted 6 weeks, but it only took 3. English is not their first language, but we worked it out. Like you, the email quote was confusing and included replacing the air handlers, but we worked it out...$2,500 for a 16k unit was significantly less than Cruisair and it appears to be better quality. I wouldn't give up on them, they're pretty nice folks.
    I've tried really hard to be patient with them, they have too many hands involved in just the quoting process, I keep getting these emails from Alex, who is quick to voice that he is accounting, not sales or install and can only provide price quotes when he gets information from the installers. One thing that has REALLY set me off is EVERY email he sends starts off with "please send payment of _____ in order to start your order." I'm typically not triggered by stuff like this but when you get 5 emails that all emphasize "sending payment" yet you can't get my system quoted correctly. The first wrong quote was for $20,000 wanting $4000 down, somehow we ended up at another wrong quote for $14,000 wanting $8000 to get started. I even asked my girlfriend to communicate with them to see if she had any better luck, NOPE!!

Do you have less problems with condensation when you have a chiller system ?

No, same amount of condensation in the pans. What you get is reliability since if one chiller craps out you can run the whole boat on the other one although not as cold during the day. And because you don’t have the long refrigerant lines, you have less risk of a leak
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Ocean breeze usually had good reputation. I only called them once, years ago, quick answers. The language issue is odd since they are north of the border aka the Miami dade county line . If it s bad before purchase, forget it

I got my chiller system from flagship 4 years ago. I ordered a pump and additional air handler for the chiller system on the the 116 i run a few months ago. Great service. I usually talk to Steve Brigham over there. Very helpful, he s a boater
    Reading your posts about how happy you have been with your chiller is why I am pushing to go that direction. I reached out to flagship yesterday, Steve referred me to Ron with TEA technical, a marine HVAC company here in Pompano. Ron arrived at my residence an hour later, took some measurements, called Steve who in turn called me explaining what Ron recommended. Recommending (2) 36,000 BTU chillers which to me seems waaaaaaay excessive being that present split systems are 50ish BTU's and cooled fairly well. Steve sounded like he was quite familiar with Hatteras hulls and their need so I'm hoping the quote comes in comparable to the ocean breeze, although I really haven't gotten a legit quote from them.

I have two 36k chillers with 5 AH. From October thru may I usually run just one chiller. In summer both are needed especially during the day. Steve was very helpful with advice on setup. I did the install myself
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    What about flagship? Any recent interactions?
    I was very pleased with Flagship. Made in the USA, reasonably priced, no proprietary parts, and Steve Brigham (sab@flagshipmarine.com) speaks perfect 'merican.

Tell him Quentin, the guy with the Chris Craft Roamer 46, sent you.

OOPS! I see you've already been in contact with him. If you chat again, tell him I said hi!
    Last edited by q240z; 07-17-2022 at 11:45 AM.