Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Anybody know the 52' LORELI (old MAKE ROOM)?

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    If this was found by a moisture meter , I would be suspicious. They take a lot of practice to use . I would only repair soft spots . Re- bed fasteners to prevent water intrusion. Wet core , (balsa) can still be strong. You need to stop the water intrusion. As an aside , we were discussing a Gulfstar MY here on the forum, it went to survey and the surveyor pronounced a wet area in the hull and drilled a hole to check . It was wet alright, he drilled into the fuel tank . It cost my friend , the owner ,$10,000 to make the mess right , clean up and all . The surveyor had no insurance. Luckily , my friend just came into some significant money , so he took the bad with the good and eventually bought a new boat.
    The boat only has a few soft spots that were covered with Seadek. The yard plans to recheck the moisture, locate and stop the intrusion, replace the soft coring with Coosa and dry the wet coring. The boat was mid-repaint when it was discovered, so everything is on hold until we get this straight.

What a great forum and appreciate the original owner posting. Good luck with your new boat. Nice boat for sure with not atypical Hatteras wet areas, from what i'm learning. I may be lining up a trip to look at it after a trip to the great lakes. Still a bit expensive for my blood, as it is a little out of my cash purchase budget and not looking to finance a portion of any of these old girls I'm considering. So he would need to come down a bit, or i wait for the market to continue to fall off.

It sounds like the most concerning areas shown in the survey were the Hawse pipes in the transom, which must need to be resealed, and spare shaft access plate. All above waterline. High moisture readings and percussion consistent with being "saturated". The transom bolts are heavily corroded and appear to be leaking below water line. They need to be resealed. Who knows about the pulpit area and around the ladder. This surveyor has a good wrap, accredited and super thorough. This boat would be moving to the cold of CT, so my most pressing concerns are around delamination due to freeze thaw cycles. You see it all the time up here on boats that have water ingress.

For the original owner do you have detail on who rebuilt the engines? Feel free to PM me if you happen to recall all the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigswardmtb View Post
    What a great forum and appreciate the original owner posting. Good luck with your new boat. Nice boat for sure with not atypical Hatteras wet areas, from what i'm learning. I may be lining up a trip to look at it after a trip to the great lakes. Still a bit expensive for my blood, as it is a little out of my cash purchase budget and not looking to finance a portion of any of these old girls I'm considering. So he would need to come down a bit, or i wait for the market to continue to fall off. It sounds like the most concerning areas shown in the survey were the Hawse pipes in the transom, which must need to be resealed, and spare shaft access plate. All above waterline. High moisture readings and percussion consistent with being "saturated". The transom bolts are heavily corroded and appear to be leaking below water line. They need to be resealed. Who knows about the pulpit area and around the ladder. This surveyor has a good wrap, accredited and super thorough. This boat would be moving to the cold of CT, so my most pressing concerns are around delamination due to freeze thaw cycles. You see it all the time up here on boats that have water ingress.For the original owner do you have detail on who rebuilt the engines? Feel free to PM me if you happen to recall all the details.
    The port engine was rebuilt by Charlie's diesel in Elberta, AL. The machine work was done by Johnson Diesel in Biloxi, MS. Test Calibration in Mobile, AL did the turbos. The starboard engine was sub contracted from Charlie's Diesel to Mike Fitzgerald in Pensacola, FL. We used Johnson and Test Calibration again. Test Calibration also did the injectors. I'm gave the current owner all the paperwork. Charlie is the guy to whom the big yards would refer Detroit rebuilds. He's awesome. He's now retired, which sucks for my current boat. We did dry the transom when we installed the swim platform. I was going to resin infuse it, but because it is foam cored - nobody thought it was necessary. I would dry it again, replace the hardware, reseal it and wish it well. I was never aware of any moisture issues on the bow of the boat.The only "soft spot" of which I was ever aware was at the base of the salon door to port - right before the teak step. It was just never enough to get attention - and my threshold is pretty low for giving issues attention. 😁Good luck with the search. That is a great boat. The 52C is a fantastic sea boat.