Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Water or Coolant in the Oil?

Quote Originally Posted by tjshuler View Post
    I am tempted to call you Captain Sunshine for all of the good news, but I fear you are correct.

If I get the engine to turn and put it all back together, as is, and start it, is it just going to chew its self up from the rust?
    No, Ive never been accused of inserting sunshine anywhere. Nor called anything that positive.
    Just have witnessed issues before.
    Digesting water into a diesel lung(s) is never good. I'm not talking rust, just metals under pressure trying to compress water deforms these metals. I fear the damage was done when the poor thing was puking out white smoke.
    Blowing out injector tubes, ring blow-by was allowing water into the oil.
    Water under pressure before that may have deformed a liner or two and a rod or two bending under the resistance of closing a lung @ 15:1 with any water in it.

Say a prayer for that 71. When you shut if off, that was it.

Your breaker bar may never match the torque, the remaining dry lungs were making trying to keep the crank turning.

Your season is over my friend. `
    Bless your 71 for trying.

BTW, a 92 would of blown out that liner and done more damage,, bore scope would of been obvious. Some times that trashes the block. Witnessed that also.

Injector tubes are the sleeves that the injectors are inserted into?

No luck getting the motor to turn. Had to give it a try, though.

In frame new liners, pistons, rods, injector tubes, crank bearing/seals.

Adjust / repair injectors, have both heads inspected.

Obviously a new intercooler and pressure test and ultrasonic clean the other 3.

While it is apart, anything else to be done?

Any rough ideas how much whiskey money this is going to set me back? (I am sitting down)

Will this in frame rebuild essentially make the engine at zero hours?

Any idea how much the value of the boat will increase after all of this work?

Injector tubes are the sleeves that the injectors are inserted into?
    Yes, these liners (tubes) hold the injector tightly and offer cooling from the engines coolant. It is crude but works well. The top and flared end keep water from leaking into the lung and oil side of the head. When under abusive pressures, they will deform and leek lung compression pressures into the engine and leak coolant into the engine.

While it is apart, anything else to be done?
    New thermostats, fuel tubes, inspect turbos and heat exchanger.
    The blower rotors got wet with raw water, if they have been sitting, some serious cleaning up or exchange.

Any rough ideas how much whiskey money this is going to set me back? (I am sitting down)

Will this in frame rebuild essentially make the engine at zero hours?

Any idea how much the value of the boat will increase after all of this work?
    If the block and crank are re-usable;
    Rough guess 3 to 4$K per lung. Plus other hang on equipment; Blowers, injectors, turbos, starter.

IMO, All hours on the crank and block are listed AND time since in-frame overhaul.
    IE; 5000 hours total, 500 hours since in-frame overhaul.

IMO, rebuilding the engines are normal maintenance. Like replacing a bad switch or light bulb.

IMO, it is good to refer to low hours when selling or shopping. I don't see a great value increase.

There are some HOF owners who just had their engines rebuilt. Search for their threads and find some more details.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 10-03-2022 at 03:21 PM.