Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Hatteras 50' 1968

The engine room vents, portholes, and shape of the bow all look like a 53 not a 50 to me.

As a long term lurker on this Hatteras forum, I have witnessed similar treatment of owners attempting to sell their Hatteras on this Hatteras forum which is why it turns into a waste of time for a true Hatteras enthusiast and owner and they go elsewhere like Craigslist and Ebay. I have bought high priced items off of ebay, craigslist and on this forum and not everything is a scam and not everything is real. If your truly savvy, you can sort out the difference with a little due diligence instead of shooting from the hip. These two boats are the real deal and well priced and the owners are sincere.

I know the original poster of this thread and have also been aboard both the 50 and 53 Motor Yachts mentioned in this thread. I also know the owners of both personally, so I will attempt to turn this mess around for my friends. We're a tight knit community here on the Northern Gulf Coast and cruise together and look out for each other. I'm really sorry to see them sell their boats but that's just life. One is just aging out and the other one is financial related.

If anyone has an interest in this attractively priced 1968 Hatteras MY or the 1973 53 MY just PM me and I'll fill in the details. I am not a broker but just trying to help out a couple of personal friends. The owners of both boats are long term Hatteras owners as is the original poster of this thread and definitely do not deserve the skepticism demonstrated here but is what drove them to Craigslist instead of the Hatteras forum.

I have shopped 50 and 53 MY's for decades and there is much confusion in this thread about the differences between an early 50 and a later 50 and early 53's. Admittedly, they are sometimes hard to tell apart and particularly the 1969 models of which there are one or more hybrids, because of the transition of the two similar models. "Silver Lining" from eastern TN when I saw it and I think is now on the east coast, is one of these with attributes of both boats but which is actually a 1969 50" MY with a 53 flybridge, a 50 bow, a 50 windows arrangement, a 53 engine vents and a 50 short overhang over the aft deck. Plus digital pictures lie and when they are re-copied, the proportions change and make it hard to judge the basics of what you see, particularly with the bow profile.

I sincerely hope those who have cast shade on a simple attempt to help a Hatteras owner sell his boat on the Hatteras forum will have the decency to fully investigate before they broadcast a negative opinion about a fellow Hatteras owner who is simply trying to sell his boat to another Hatteras enthusiast. I am sure many of us Hatteras forum lurkers and Hatteras owners would greatly appreciate it. Please, lets keep this place a nice place to visit

3. Re: Hatteras 50' 1968

[QUOTE=
    I have shopped 50 and 53 MY's for decades and there is much confusion in this thread about the differences between an early 50 and a later 50 and early 53's. Admittedly, they are sometimes hard to tell apart and particularly the 1969 models of which there are one or more hybrids, because of the transition of the two similar models. "Silver Lining" from eastern TN when I saw it and I think is now on the east coast, is one of these with attributes of both boats but which is actually a 1969 50" MY with a 53 flybridge, a 50 bow, a 50 windows arrangement, a 53 engine vents and a 50 short overhang over the aft deck. Plus digital pictures lie and when they are re-copied, the proportions change and make it hard to judge the basics of what you see, particularly with the bow profile.<<<<<

Gee Stranger on the internet, thanks for “clearing up the confusion” . Instead of barking at us, why don’t you help your friends prepare less confusing advertisements? Because personally, me Blake Davis once had my 4788 “catfished” (they call it now) from Florida to California at a price too good to be true, which indeed suckered buyers from Australia to send deposits to a scammer on a non existent boat adverised on Boat Trader. Like I originally said “the boat looks good” but if I had a “Nouverania (sp?) center console with OB included” I would take a photo because that’s worth some serious bucks. The absence of pertinent information and photos is what jumps out at me. That, and you being a “lurker” (by your own definition) and all. Oh, and neither advertisements have phone numbers!
    Last edited by Retired1; 06-30-2022 at 02:56 PM.

Well, after viewing your profile, you're the actual stranger having only been on this forum a year and a half. And you appear to be a barking chiwawa (pic on your profile) who once owned a Bayliner and foolishly put your phone number and too much info into your ad which led to you being catfished. Thanks for making my points so directly and for stimulating the pm's I've now gotten in my inbox. You should actually buy a Hatteras so you would understand what this forum is actually for.

Quote Originally Posted by Latitude View Post
    ... Please, lets keep this place a nice place to visit
    Agree. I know there is a lot of expertise around here, but calm review is just as welcome.

DAN

6. Re: Hatteras 50' 1968

Quote Originally Posted by Latitude View Post
    Well, after viewing your profile, you're the actual stranger having only been on this forum a year and a half. And you appear to be a barking chiwawa (pic on your profile) who once owned a Bayliner and foolishly put your phone number and too much info into your ad which led to you being catfished. Thanks for making my points so directly and for stimulating the pm's I've now gotten in my inbox. You should actually buy a Hatteras so you would understand what this forum is actually for.
    l literally have a homepage link to my website HERE for the Yacht Brokerage I owned since 1984 (before that I worked for Merrill-Stevens andd other houses going back to 1974) so yeah I had tons of boats on Yachtworld over the years,and my boating info is certainly still out there. I’ve owned several Hatteras MYs, and one 45’ SF, in addition to maybe 30 other boats over the years that I took in trade.I was the East Coast Dealer for Lien Hwa, and liquidated all the motoryacht trades for Boatarama when they were the Bayliner and Navigator dealer, along with selling their new boats over 47’.. Sunseeker Club of New York hung their license under me, along with Atlantic Yacht Sales in Miami. But I have never sold a 58’ Bertram MY.
    My point Captain Morgan is I’m a actual real person, not hiding behind made up names, not going back deleting statements made under other screen names,, and when I relate a story, it’s true. You’re the only one being rude here. As I’ve said before-HELP your friends prepare less confusing advertisements if that’s your goal instead of barking at people who can’t translate your writing into a clear concise statement.

And the pitbull to chihuahua meme was to show the difference between being young and old It’s clearly titled “getting old be like”. . It’s humorous to most everyone who’s sober.
    Last edited by Retired1; 06-30-2022 at 08:37 PM.

Why the pissing contest? Nobody wins. Gnomesayin?
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Thanks for indirectly educating me of the profile ignore function. Good luck to the seller.

All that and the picture is still of a 53.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Post Re: Hatteras 50' 1968

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    All that and the picture is still of a 53.
    So you know more than the owner, which has owned the vessel for over 20 years

Let's stop second guessing the owner.