Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hatteras 50' 1968

Saw this listing on craigslist in Houston Boats for Sale, don't know if the owner is a forum member or not.

I am regretfully putting my turn-key Hatteras up for sale due to health issues. The boat is fine, needs nothing done for the next owner to enjoy it immediately. I have had an open checkbook approach to maintaining it for my 23 years of ownership. In fact it has recently made a 140 mile round trip to the coast with no issues and numerous other trips to the gulf coast, Florida keys and up the Tenn-Tom. A recent survey is available to a truly interested
    Party and I do not need any help selling it myself. The specs are typical for this model:
    8v71 naturals with no smoke on cold startup. 12kw Northern Lights generator, new batteries, extensive new canvas and new 15k canvas work including privacy and rail covers, 12ft Nautica center console dingy with 25hp Mercury and new canvas cover. No hurricane damage. I would much prefer to deal with a private party for a person to person sale so no brokers, please.

Hatteras 50' 1968.jpg

2. Re: Hatteras 50' 1968

Looked it up. Sure seems like a decent boat for the price, but surprised that they didn’t show the quality name brand tender and outboard, and that it’s listed in Houston, when it says Metairie, which is New Orleans, where’s there’s actually a larger one for sale. Maybe the same exterior photo?
    Smells like a scam to me. I once found my boat being regularly being advertised in California when it was sitting outside my window in Florida. I also later met people who HAD wired the scammer a deposit, and several others who “almost did”. Every time I called it was located somewhere else today. When I said “great, I’m there now” he hung up.
    Last edited by Retired1; 06-30-2022 at 01:25 AM.

Re: Hatteras 50' 1968

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    Those are the facts.
    Not witnessed any fact yet.

No one said that you did. And it's unlikely a currently non-hatteras owner sporting a Bertram logo would
    Would? Would witness any facts? Where?
    All that is here is some SFB pushing a questioned CL list? That can't supply any facts??

5. Re: Hatteras 50' 1968

And your reply is the exact reason some people don't list their Hatteras's on this forum because of self appointed experts like yourself who don't own one themselves. Your profile says you are not a Hatteras owner.

Firstly, I had the privilege of meeting the owner of this 50' Hatteras 1968 and it is located in New Orleans/Metairie.
    Secondarily, the dinghy type and motor type is listed in the description of the boat.
    Thirdly, some people choose to advertise their boats in other cities where there are more potential buyers.
    Forthly, the other Hatteras on craigslist from New Orleans is a 53' Hatteras.
    Fifthly, what smells here is your attempt to turn people away from this guys attempt to sell it. What's it to you?

Those are the facts. I know both boats you mentioned from their travels to coastal Mississippi and anyone can look at the pictures and tell the difference.
    It’s fourthly, but I suspect its a actual fifth that is the cause of your needless anger in defending Craigslist ads. Chill out.
    Last edited by Retired1; 06-30-2022 at 12:22 AM.

FWIW that’s not a 68 50 it’s a 53 probably early 70’s by the looks of the bridge. Could be a scam
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

The shorter windshield side looks like it s from a 50 not a 53 but the bow rake is definitely 53 not 50
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    FWIW that’s not a 68 50 it’s a 53 probably early 70’s by the looks of the bridge. Could be a scam

It is a 1968 50' Hatteras not a 53.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    The shorter windshield side looks like it s from a 50 not a 53 but the bow rake is definitely 53 not 50

It is a 50' Hatteras.

Thought you just happened to see it on Craigs how do you know? Like Pascal said the bow rake hull vents and bridge look like a 53.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present