Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Aft deck ceiling / weather board repaint?

My ceiling was repainted by the previous owners. They used a smi gloss rather than a high gloss. Truthfully I think it looks fabulous. Just something to consider. I found this photo which doesn’t show much.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    Any suggestions on what to use on the aft deck ceiling? I have the popcorn looking texture.

The stainless bolts and hardware all have corrosion / green or grey and crusty. I'm assuming just replace that stuff, i.e. remove, paint then reinstall new hardware.
    If anyone has redone this area I would be grateful to hear your methods and advice!

Also I would like to repaint or replace the weather board sections in the back.
    What is easier, paint or replace? Some areas of this look newer, some areas the paint is severely weather checked.

Thanks!
    That popcorn texture is actually fiberglass blown onto the ceiling. One of my friends decided to sand it off of his 53’YF. That ceiling is only about 4’ in depth. It took him two weekends using 36 grit sand paper to sand off about 1/2 of the ceiling. He then had to float it with a patch to smooth it out. He’s stated he is going to have a big problem when he gets close to the walls. I think he regrets this job.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    That popcorn texture is actually fiberglass blown onto the ceiling. One of my friends decided to sand it off of his 53’YF. That ceiling is only about 4’ in depth. It took him two weekends using 36 grit sand paper to sand off about 1/2 of the ceiling. He then had to float it with a patch to smooth it out. He’s stated he is going to have a big problem when he gets close to the walls. I think he regrets this job.
    I think I will pass on making it smooth!
    I'm sure your friend wishes he knew how much work it would be too.
    Unfortunately it s one of those "Once you start you can't go back" kind of projects!
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

My ceiling was repainted by the previous owners. They used a smi gloss rather than a high gloss. Truthfully I think it looks fabulous. Just something to consider. I found this photo which doesn’t show much.
    Thank you Rusty!
    Looks good!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    I'm considering pulling all the hardware and painting. Then either replace all the nuts and hardware or seeing if there is a way to rechrome them or something. the nuts can probably just be replaced with new. There are also some plates that can probably be polished or maybe electropolished. Either way it's a bit of work. Also loosening and removing hardware makes me wonder if that could break loose any seals or caulking on the through bolts. Could open up a can of worms. Still pondering the correct approach.
    What I am finding with my somewhat new to me old boat is, everything is a bit harder than you want it to be...

I am replacing all of the fasteners oftentimes when I do any kind of job, things like that.

However, my theory is, I am going around the boat somewhat slowly, but I am doing a thorough job on everything, such that I won't have to revisit it so soon.

So, eventually, I will be doing what you are talking about on my weather boards, and I will take them all off, find and refinish them and reinstall with all new hardware.

All of the little rubber washers are cracked, things are corroded, etc.

Replace it with quality stuff and little by little the thing starts to come together!
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Quote Originally Posted by tjshuler View Post
    I used 1/4" StarBord to replace the weatherboards. Went in nice and clean. Sea Foam color is pretty close.

Have been contemplating putting shiplap on the aft overhead. Presently trying to figure out how to put a wood "valence" around the outside edges to get a nice transition. Am going to make a couple sample pieces out of 1/4" plywood on the table saw, paint them and see how it looks. The shiplap could be fastened to furring strips with brass flat head screws all in a line and then cover with thin mahogany pieces. Would make it easy to gain access for wires in the future.
    That sounds like a nice way to never have to paint again!

So is Imron paint the way to go for the ceiling?

Do you think it should be semi gloss like you have or high gloss?
    Thanks,
    Bob

I prefer smi.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California