Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Aft deck ceiling / weather board repaint?

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    Depending on the depth of the furring strips you could add some insulation .
    On my boat, the aft deck is an unconditioned space, but am considering the same ship lap to replace the tired headliners. Some kind of insulation would be added to help reduce heat load in the main salon. However, most heat load comes in through the windows. A separate project.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Mine doesn’t have the later popcorn but ribs which I hate, plus nuts for the dinghy chocks. At some point I m going to add panels attached to the ribs to hide it all. Thinking about using the same as I used in the heads which is white Formica glued to 1/4” ply with mahogany strips covering the joints.

Weather boards have to be painted so no point in replacing. Yesterday i tore down the entire starboard side and will install news Coosa panels today. I had done the port side and stern a while back. Second picture shows the Coosa panels.
    How did you remove the handrails forward of the wing doors. Mine are a continuous piece from the aft corner forward to the gate at the pilot house door. Did you cut it? I have contemplated doing that, but don't want to cause a problem as to how to re-install the cut handrail.

Quote Originally Posted by tjshuler View Post
    How did you remove the handrails forward of the wing doors. Mine are a continuous piece from the aft corner forward to the gate at the pilot house door. Did you cut it? I have contemplated doing that, but don't want to cause a problem as to how to re-install the cut handrail.
    I took the handrails from the side doors to the bow off completely. By doing this I was able to drill out the broken screws, put bongs in the holes for all new screws to be attached. You will find by trying to unscrew the rails you will break a dozen or more. Once the screws were drilled out and bongs were placed I took both sides home and started the sanding process. Once completely stripped and sanded I applied 10 coats of varnish. They are approximately 25 feet long and I had to string them from one side of my garage to the other. All of the varnish was done inside so I didn’t have a bunch of dust and debris to deal with. They came out beautiful. I would highly recommend doing it that way rather than stripping it on the boat.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

On my boat, the aft deck is an unconditioned space, but am considering the same ship lap to replace the tired headliners. Some kind of insulation would be added to help reduce heat load in the main salon. However, most heat load comes in through the windows. A separate project.
    The heat load in the salon is an easy fix, that 3M Crystalline window tint is fabulous at cutting that out. Even regular old tint is good at that, my boat has side and aft windows tinted but the windshield is not, and the difference is staggering. I'm going to have that done, tint doesn't really bother with my vision.

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    The heat load in the salon is an easy fix, that 3M Crystalline window tint is fabulous at cutting that out. Even regular old tint is good at that, my boat has side and aft windows tinted but the windshield is not, and the difference is staggering. I'm going to have that done, tint doesn't really bother with my vision.
    Tinted 3M windows will be done before the end of this season

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I took the handrails from the side doors to the bow off completely. By doing this I was able to drill out the broken screws, put bongs in the holes for all new screws to be attached. You will find by trying to unscrew the rails you will break a dozen or more. Once the screws were drilled out and bongs were placed I took both sides home and started the sanding process. Once completely stripped and sanded I applied 10 coats of varnish. They are approximately 25 feet long and I had to string them from one side of my garage to the other. All of the varnish was done inside so I didn’t have a bunch of dust and debris to deal with. They came out beautiful. I would highly recommend doing it that way rather than stripping it on the boat.
    I removed my handrails from my 43DC and refinished them with no problem.

How did you remove your hand rails from just in from of the wing doors?

I removed my handrails from my 43DC and refinished them with no problem.

How did you remove your hand rails from just in from of the wing doors?
    Sorry the side doors. Good catch.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by brettportzer View Post
    I think definitely repainting is the answer here. You can't really buy replacements, etc, you have to make them from scratch from the same material, and THEN paint them.
    thank you, I think just sanding and repainting would be the way to go then.
    I have been eyeballing them, thinking what a pain it would be to remove them to do them right versus trying to sand in place. In my mind the jury is out on that one.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Quote Originally Posted by Glory View Post
    I repainted mine. Fresh Imron made it easier to clean. I have been considering sanding it smoth, I do worry about the time the curved edges will take to sand.
    I'm considering pulling all the hardware and painting. Then either replace all the nuts and hardware or seeing if there is a way to rechrome them or something. the nuts can probably just be replaced with new. There are also some plates that can probably be polished or maybe electropolished. Either way it's a bit of work. Also loosening and removing hardware makes me wonder if that could break loose any seals or caulking on the through bolts. Could open up a can of worms. Still pondering the correct approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Repainted my overhead years ago with just. One part polyurethane paint and a heavy nap roller. Wasn’t hard at all and still looks great 5 years later
    That sounds doable, did you remove all the hardware?
    Did you use Imron, or one of the special boat paints? Primer first or just clean and paint?
    Thanks!