Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Aft deck ceiling / weather board repaint?

Any suggestions on what to use on the aft deck ceiling? I have the popcorn looking texture.

The stainless bolts and hardware all have corrosion / green or grey and crusty. I'm assuming just replace that stuff, i.e. remove, paint then reinstall new hardware.
    If anyone has redone this area I would be grateful to hear your methods and advice!

Also I would like to repaint or replace the weather board sections in the back.
    What is easier, paint or replace? Some areas of this look newer, some areas the paint is severely weather checked.

Thanks!
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Re: Aft deck ceiling / weather board repaint?

That popcorn ceiling is such a pain in the ass. If you don't wash it with a brush and soapy water every couple weeks it accumulates a ton of dirt and looks grungy in no time. Washing it means getting soapy water in your eyes because there's really no other way. This is the only thing I hate about my boat.

I repainted mine. Fresh Imron made it easier to clean. I have been considering sanding it smoth, I do worry about the time the curved edges will take to sand.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

I think definitely repainting is the answer here. You can't really buy replacements, etc, you have to make them from scratch from the same material, and THEN paint them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    Also I would like to repaint or replace the weather board sections in the back.
    What is easier, paint or replace?
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Mine doesn’t have the later popcorn but ribs which I hate, plus nuts for the dinghy chocks. At some point I m going to add panels attached to the ribs to hide it all. Thinking about using the same as I used in the heads which is white Formica glued to 1/4” ply with mahogany strips covering the joints.

Weather boards have to be painted so no point in replacing. Yesterday i tore down the entire starboard side and will install news Coosa panels today. I had done the port side and stern a while back. Second picture shows the Coosa panels.
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

You maybe able to spray some very thick fairing compound , sand and paint or attach furring strips and cover with bead board or tongue and groove /ship lapp made of wood/vinyl use battens to hide the seams with led lights installed in the batten . Hinckley Yachts uses some kind of bead board etc with battens on their headliners,. Or you could scrape,sand and fair the ceiling by hand ( that sounds like the seventh circle of hell !! ) it would look great ! Maybe some kind of thin carpet,fabric ?

I used 1/4" StarBord to replace the weatherboards. Went in nice and clean. Sea Foam color is pretty close.

Have been contemplating putting shiplap on the aft overhead. Presently trying to figure out how to put a wood "valence" around the outside edges to get a nice transition. Am going to make a couple sample pieces out of 1/4" plywood on the table saw, paint them and see how it looks. The shiplap could be fastened to furring strips with brass flat head screws all in a line and then cover with thin mahogany pieces. Would make it easy to gain access for wires in the future.

Maybe using the super duper strong commercial velcro/hook and loop type product may work for easy access .

Depending on the depth of the furring strips you could add some insulation .

Repainted my overhead years ago with just. One part polyurethane paint and a heavy nap roller. Wasn’t hard at all and still looks great 5 years later
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.