Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Lake Huron/Tobermory/Gergian Bay? Or go south into Lake Erie?

I would like to plan some kind of summer trip, we are stationed in Algonac, Mi basically at the north side of Lake St. Clair.

We have been to Mackinaw already so we are kind of thinking Tobermory or maybe several places in Georgian bay. I don't have a clue what is worth seeing down in Lake Erie, I suspect not much.

Looking for suggestions on where to go?
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Re: Lake Huron/Tobermory/Gergian Bay? Or go south into Lake Erie?

Algonac to Sarnia; Bayfield; "the Tub"; Killarney; Covered Portage; Little Current; "the Benjamins"; Gore Bay.
    The North Channel is rightly described as one of the best and most scenic cruising grounds in the world.

On the other hand....Lake Erie has Put-in-Bay; Presque Ille and.....rough waters in a 15 kt breeze.

Go north.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
    Algonac to Sarnia; Bayfield; "the Tub"; Killarney; Covered Portage; Little Current; "the Benjamins"; Gore Bay.
    The North Channel is rightly described as one of the best and most scenic cruising grounds in the world.

On the other hand....Lake Erie has Put-in-Bay; Presque Ille and.....rough waters in a 15 kt breeze.

Go north.
    Thank you!
    Any suggestions on a route? i.e. stay along Canadian border and overnight somewhere or go up toward the thumb and shoot across?

I've headed North about 5/6 times and on all but one trip, I did the loop either heading into or out of the North Channel via Detour (sp?) or Tobermory.

If you don't want to do the loop, I'd recommend travelling the Cdn side to Tobermory and from there to Killarney.

The US side has more marinas....nice small towns...and you can head to the North Channel from Presque Illes which is very pretty.

You'll like Bayfield....it's a destination in its own right....and the "perch and chips" in Killarney are a staple. Try the Mountain Lodge marina.

Grand Bend in Ontario was a fun destination years ago when I lived and boated in Anchorville MI

Thank you everyone! I need to get a map out and start making notes!