Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Re: Racor checkball removal ?

Captain Ralph you noted that diesel clean helped contribute to the problem in addition to water intrusion

This is the result of water and lots of diesel clean. Not from bio poo.
    This will not go away till your water intrusion is fixed.
    I was considering using a Cetane Boost (Diesel Kleen). Would you advise against using Diesel Kleen. I'm not having any problems; I was considering for preventative maintenance.
    SCUSI
    1981 55C
    Hull #: 328

Re: Racor checkball removal ?

Quote Originally Posted by cenger View Post
    Captain Ralph you noted that diesel clean helped contribute to the problem in addition to water intrusion

I was considering using a Cetane Boost (Diesel Kleen). Would you advise against using Diesel Kleen. I'm not having any problems; I was considering for preventative maintenance.
    If your fuel is clean and clear, use if if you need it.
    Centan boost is real good for old fuel. IMO, if you have fresh fuel, it's not going to do a thing for you.

Unlike your car that relies on knock sensors to keep the timing just under that knock, then adding octane does let the ECM advance the timing a bit more until that first knock.
    Your ole diesel engine is not going to change it's timing.

The best PM you can do for your fuel system, clean fuel, fresh fuel, clean tanks, clean filters.

My mistake was mis-identifying the snot and assumed bio poo of some kind. It was water reacting with the Valve Tech additives. When I added the Diesel Clean, it tried to suspend more water in the fuel and formed a snot line between the water and fuel. It was that snot you can see in the pictures.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 06-27-2022 at 05:52 PM.

3. Re: Racor checkball removal ?

Very helpful Captain. I have fresh fuel so I think I'll save the Diesel Kleen for winter.
    SCUSI
    1981 55C
    Hull #: 328

Quote Originally Posted by cenger View Post
    Very helpful Captain. I have fresh fuel so I think I'll save the Diesel Kleen for winter.
    I did not mean to, but I think I may have hy-jacked this thread.

I see your in Essex. Do you operate during the winter? Do you purchase winter fuel like big trucks?

Is there Valve Tech fuel retail pumps you use in your area? Do they change their formula during the winter?

We operate year round and I've never been sure of how the fuels up there changes for boats during the cold.

Will check for water entry as suggested but retrospectively, I'm thinking this wasn't a problem until I switched to Valve Tech.

Will switch away from Valve Tech.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by llldks View Post
    Will check for water entry as suggested but retrospectively, I'm thinking this wasn't a problem until I switched to Valve Tech.

Will switch away from Valve Tech.

Thanks.
    It is good stuff, it is reacting with something else in the tank other than fuel, Just like it started with me.
    I originally thought it was a bad load of fuel.

Last edited by Play'N Hooky Too; 06-28-2022 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Posted un-informed and misleading opinion on function of ball check-valve.
    "The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner" - Some Wise Guy

1976 46' Convertible
    Bayou Chico
    Pensacola, Florida

My impression of the schematic is that suction moves the checkball down allowing fuel flow into lower glass chamber/centrifuge. Without suction, the ball floats up into seal preventing retroflow back to tank. Not sure about the ball not floating in diesel. It appears the checkball is only on the inflow side of the filter.
    Attached Images

It would appear that you are correct. I should have looked at my manual before posting. Sorry.
    "The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner" - Some Wise Guy

1976 46' Convertible
    Bayou Chico
    Pensacola, Florida