Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)

Threaded View

Re: Racor checkball removal ?

Once the water was removed and fuel filtered for days, I felt my tank was finally clear of these issues. Went on vacation to the Dry Tortuga's.
    The weather sucked for that 3 weeks. Rain near every day. Water came back in my Racors.
    No Valve Tech fuel or fuel treatments this time.

When we returned home, I went straight for the fuel cooler,, again,, NOT.

One night, sitting in the ER pondering my hair loss, I looked up and saw a rusted out hose clamp that had slid down my stb fuel fill hose,,, to that tank..

And then I found IT.

The caulk had long failed under the deck fuel fill. Any water on the deck went under the fuel fill and would follow the hose down till it dripped off of the hose.
    This would be wash water, sea water, rain water..
    The hose clamps rusted and failed long ago. The top end of the hose had been getting wet with water for so long that the wire in the hose had rusted out. The hose end swelled out like a funnel. Now when water leaked under the deck fill, the water would drip into this funnel shaped hose end and into my tank.

Re-bedded the deck plate, new fuel fill hose, pump the water out one last time, problem has been gone now 9 years.

Sorry I bored everybody, But if llldks goo looks like my goo, I felt my whole story needed to be explained.

Water can find its way to get into your fuel tank on the strangest path.

I found my original slime was from my water issue reacting with Valve Tech fuel additives.
    Convinced I had bad fuel with a bio issue, I poured in the diesel clean. This seemed to make my issue worse.

I have learned the hard way;
    Bio Poo is dark, water snot is brown.
    Snake oils can make some issues worse.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 06-27-2022 at 05:56 AM.