Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Northern Lights Genny

I finally got around to doing a service on the genny in my new boat. It's a NL with a Luggar engine. Basic maintenance, including oil change, fuel filters, air filter cleaning, impeller, and antifreeze change. It did smoke a bit more than my old genny and I found the air filter foam dirty and cleaned it.

It wouldn't start at first after the fuel filters were done so I went through the steps to bleed the system. When it still wouldn't start I began to crack the fuel lines to bleed them. As I tried to loosen the first one, the injector turned instead of the line fitting. That caused the return line to crack and begin to leak.

Great. Never do maintenance. Something always breaks. So, I've ordered a new return line and will be installing it this week. So, my question is this... Since I already have 3 brand new injectors in my maint kit, should I just go ahead and replace them too since everything that needs to be removed to do so will already be off? The engine has about 4k hours on it.

Oh, and it didn't need to be bled in the first place. Turns out I forgot to open the thru Hull after replacing the impeller and the lack of water flow was detected by a sensor.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Re: Northern Lights Genny

I used to run a boat with a pair of luggar powered 20KW NLs. They were pretty much self bleeding. It was a few years back but I don’t even recall a priming pump. The lift pump was electric and you d just hold the run button to run the pump for a while to bleed the circuit

Very reliable
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Gee, too bad you don't know of a fuel injection shop that could test those injectors for you.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Don't worry, if I swap them you'll be getting them.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

How old or reliable do you think you spare injectors are? Fresh or recent pops on them?
    IMO, Injectors that spend more than a week on a shelf, are suspect.

Nice to have for emergencies when you know you have a bad one on your engine. Your spares give you 3 chances to replace one bad injector.
    But when your engine is running fine and then install stored injectors, you may be inserting problems.

While your are looking for DIY adventures, adjust the valves.

At the risk of jinxing myself I don’t think I ve ever had issues with injectors.

My 20 year old 3000 hours Isuzu powered Norpro 18 has its original injectors. The NL 20s I mentioned had 9000 hours and where 13 years old when the boat sold. Original injectors afaik. I put 4/5k on each and never touch the injectors. We had to replace an injection pump on one of them but GT hat was it.

Same on mains… I ve put like 4000 hours on 3412s, 2500 on C32s. Never had to get an injector replaced.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Yea, that's why I'm concerned. But since the can of worms is already open, welllll ...

There are many current or former aircraft owners on this board. After upgrading to my best mechanic over 15 years, 2 states away, his opinion was always to avoid maintenance induced failure from a repair, UNLESS the risk of the repair was warranted by great data, or significant calendar risk that warranted the risk(Part 91, obviously). Boat engines are usually less risky to human life. IMHO, the injectors should stay in their boxes, until needed.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Not being an aircraft owner, I have always thought that the name of the game with aircraft maintenance was to perform it on a schedule, such that things never really break in use?

Whereas, with boats, it seems like no one wants to touch anything until it breaks?

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacoast View Post
    There are many current or former aircraft owners on this board. After upgrading to my best mechanic over 15 years, 2 states away, his opinion was always to avoid maintenance induced failure from a repair, UNLESS the risk of the repair was warranted by great data, or significant calendar risk that warranted the risk(Part 91, obviously). Boat engines are usually less risky to human life. IMHO, the injectors should stay in their boxes, until needed.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    Don't worry, if I swap them you'll be getting them.
    If we test them, you'll know whether you need to swap them or not. No charge for pop-testing. Just saying.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375