Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Liquid Plumber?

Liquid Plumber?

I had some guys here at the marina that said don't use liquid plumber in the heads.
    True?

Also, I am thinking my trouble is in the line between the head and the tank. So if I put something like liquid plumber in the bowl would it even reach past the bowl?

Thanks!
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

2. Re: Liquid Plumber?

Not sure if ur using salt water for heads but if so piped probably full of calcium. Near impossible to clear. Replace pipes is my experience.

Re: Liquid Plumber?

“SewClean” will dissolve the calcification. It will take several tries. It can loosen the scale so it concentrates it one area and really clogs the line . Replacing the line is usually best . I am thinking that occasionally using Sew Clean might prevent a problem. I can see why people convert to fresh water use . You could convert to fresh water and leave the use of salt water when you were cruising and do not want to use your fresh water supply.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Bob, my center head stopped pumping. After checking the motor and interior parts and finding nothing was wrong, I moved onto the hose. This head is only used by my granddaughter and she had not been to the boat for 4 months. I put a snake into the hose with no luck. I finally removed and replaced the hose from the pump to the holding tank. I cut open the old hose and found a wad of dried TP about 18” long. Due the the lack of use as well as not flushing for 8 to 10 seconds caused this blockage.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Liquid Plumber does not fix black water issues.
    The larger reason not to use it; when it does not work and you go after the hoses anyway, you have the chemical still in the hose that has to be dealt with.
    I have a horror story when a customer used a drain cleaner, then called us for service. Nope, they did not tell us there was chemical in use.
    That's when we added that question to our before service briefing and querys.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 06-21-2022 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Bob, my center head stopped pumping. After checking the motor and interior parts and finding nothing was wrong, I moved onto the hose. This head is only used by my granddaughter and she had not been to the boat for 4 months. I put a snake into the hose with no luck. I finally removed and replaced the hose from the pump to the holding tank. I cut open the old hose and found a wad of dried TP about 18” long. Due the the lack of use as well as not flushing for 8 to 10 seconds caused this blockage.
    Yeah it had a very slow filling amount, so I think that probably did it in.
    I guess I will have to figure out how to get to the hose!

Thanks everyone, can anyone tell me how I get to the hose?
    I have carpet through out so I am guessing there is a hatch somewhere that is covered up that I need access to?

Which of the three heads? What brand of head?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Bob, before you go ripping out the hose. Disconnect the hose that leads from the top of the pump which leads to the holding tank. Attach a three or 4 foot hose to the top of the pump and put the other end into a 5 gallon bucket. Flush the toilet and see if you get a good flow of water going into the 5 gallon bucket. If you do then it’s time to replace the hose. If you don’t you might have to look at the stators and the corkscrew inside the pump.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Which of the three heads? What brand of head?
    It's the middle head.
    Rariton brand