Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ocean 56 cockpit mY vs Hat 53 cockpit motor yacht

I think I know my answer, but which is better at crossing the stream to BeeHams?

I really do prefer the layout of Ocean.

A 65 Sportfish no doubt is way better, but too wide for my canal off the New River.

Re: Ocean 56 cockpit mY vs Hat 53 cockpit motor yacht

Those Oceans are pretty cool in my opinion, you won't get any judgment out of me. The 56' yachtfish Oceans are really just the 48' MY with an extended cockpit tacked on. The big plus side is they somehow figured out how to fit walkaround queens into all 3 staterooms in those boats, they're an ingenious use of space. Another plus is they're fast, they turn in an honest 20 knot cruise. I don't think there's any comparison at all in terms of build quality versus a Hatteras though.

The Ocean may have a deeper draft. I think the Ocean may offer a better ride but consume a little more fuel on plane.
    If you stand tall, I think the Ocean may offer better head room in some places.
    But sleeping vs boat operation; The Hatt helm may be more comfortable.

I had a dock neighbor that had an Ocean 56 cockpit MY. I have been onboard a number of times but not underway. His boat had 671 TIBs. He sold the boat because it scared him and his wife in following seas. At that time I had a 42 Bertram and we were leaving the same place and headed back to our home marina. It was a late fall run downsea in the Chesapeake bay. I made the run and he turned around because it was scaring him. It was a while ago but I would say the wind was about 15-20 knots. In the bertram it was a non event. I think he sold the boat for that reason. I am far from a naval architect but the stern was very narrow on that boat. Also Ocean had handling problems on the 29 and I believe the 58 in and around 1989-1991 if my memory is correct. I may have the article from an old issue of Powerboat reports. Based on what my neighbor said that boat is not suited for offshore running.

Thanks good feedback. The cruising plan is crossing the Stream, both the Ocean and 53 cockpit Hat have 4 foot drafts. Any comments on the 53 cockpit Hat in following seas?

Obviously deeper draft and wider beam is better, except in my canal and around shallow waters we will be traveling in.

Quote Originally Posted by motoryacht lover View Post
    I had a dock neighbor that had an Ocean 56 cockpit MY. Based on what my neighbor said that boat is not suited for offshore running.
    There was one at Huckins a while ago getting some repairs and paint work done.
    He loved his.
    I also sensed from his wife they were just ditch and river cruisers.

So, I do have to ask, could you figure why your dock neighbor was so nervous? His stern get pushed? Scared it would flood? Or he could not watch it well?

Thx,
    Inquiring mind

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    There was one at Huckins a while ago getting some repairs and paint work done.
    He loved his.
    I also sensed from his wife they were just ditch and river cruisers.

So, I do have to ask, could you figure why your dock neighbor was so nervous? His stern get pushed? Scared it would flood? Or he could not watch it well?

Thx,
    Inquiring mind
    He's still over there at Ortega landing, I've seen that one out of the water, and although both of them claim a 4' draft my 53 Hatt has a lot more boat under the waterline than his does. The difference is especially noticeable up forward. The Hatt has that 3-4' deep-v forefoot that makes it track well and gives it a soft ride, the ocean is pretty flat up there. I'm sure that's probably the same reason the ocean's faster, so like anything I'm sure it's a trade off.

As well as I remember in a following quartering sea it would turn quickly and helm response was minimal. I also think it would heel over as well.

Quote Originally Posted by motoryacht lover View Post
    As well as I remember in a following quartering sea it would turn quickly and helm response was minimal. I also think it would heel over as well.
    And what speed or bow up (down?) angle may this happen?
    Anything to help this condition, lil more throttle?
    Scared of your own boat is not good, I'm still just curious.

I never thought much about Oceans but lots of folks out there like them.
    I also have been spoiled by our boat.

How many 56 Oceans are stabilized vs 53 Hatt's ?? I have never seen an Ocean that was stabilized in person.......Pat