Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hot Water

Hot Water

Reduced hot water pressure all faucets. Have hot water, screens clean new relief valve.
    Any suggestions where to look for obstruction. Cold water great.
    Thanks
    Werner Schoenkneht MIRAGE

Re: Hot Water

Is the pressure the same at the faucet nearest the hot water tank as it is at the furthest away?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Some marine hot water heaters have a mixing valve, which might cause this problem. A call to the manufacturer of the heater might help.

All faucets have same pressure regardless of location relative to hot
    water tank. no mixing valves involved.

You might try back flushing the hot water heater in case sediment has blocked the exit of the tank.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    You might try back flushing the hot water heater in case sediment has blocked the exit of the tank.
    I'd agree with Seven for a couple of reasons. I had this issue last summer, and while Pau Hana has a residential-style water heater that has only been installed for 3 years, I had to flush the tank last summer. I also had this issue in my dirt home in NC - that water heater was not downstream from a sediment filter, and I had to flush it annually. With my current setup, I have a sediment filter before the boat water system, for tank and dock water, and I think that's contributing to better quality and reduced maintenance on the water heater.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Agree with others, flush the tank, you might be amazed (or disgusted lol). Seems like calcium and other salts/minerals just precipitate out inside the tanks.

Be sure to flip the hot water heater breaker off before draining!! No quicker way to fry a heating element.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL