Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

AC Tech Fort Myers

Need recommendations. Intermittent issue with Cruise Air units. High pressure, strainer is clean. 58MY.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Re: AC Tech Fort Myers

Everyone is backed up. Clearwater recommendations?

Would rather work my way towards an appointment vs sitting and waiting on one.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I had this same problem in my boat with intermittent HP shutdowns. Turned out it was the bronze impeller in the pump had eroded away. It looked like the water was flowing but it wasn't enough volume to cool all the units at the same time on a hot day. As you will recall from our delivery trip, the temporary solution all you can do is shutdown the other a/c units on the boat to keep 1 or 2 of them running. First thing I did when I got back home was call cruisair and they figured out what it was. Turn the other units off and see if the pilothouse and salon units will run then. You can order the pump impeller and have it delivered to whatever your next marina is.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Everyone is backed up. Clearwater recommendations?

Would rather work my way towards an appointment vs sitting and waiting on one.
    Sending a PM.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I have used Felix Marine for Dometic in Fort Myers. I was satisfied both times. Felix (239) 936-6463.

Here are some others if Felix can’t get to you. I have no experience with these.
    Accumar. 239 323 9600
    VIP Marine 239 645 7510
    Parker Aire. 239 997 2665

Good luck

Found an outfit who came out, acid flushed the system and got us up and running again. Accumar Marine Services, who are tied in with Bluewater Marine Services who came highly recommended by another delivery Captain friend.

Well pleased and a fraction of what we were quoted from another local outfit. Roland Balzac (239) 323-9600 is now in my contacts.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    I had this same problem in my boat with intermittent HP shutdowns. Turned out it was the bronze impeller in the pump had eroded away. It looked like the water was flowing but it wasn't enough volume to cool all the units at the same time on a hot day. As you will recall from our delivery trip, the temporary solution all you can do is shutdown the other a/c units on the boat to keep 1 or 2 of them running. First thing I did when I got back home was call cruisair and they figured out what it was. Turn the other units off and see if the pilothouse and salon units will run then. You can order the pump impeller and have it delivered to whatever your next marina is.
    As I have mentioned before the bronze impeller pumps do erode with time, 3 to 5 years in my experience. I have had the issue with oberdorfer/cruisair pumps as well as the very pricey Scott pumps. I ve given up on them and switched to mag drive March pumps whenever possible.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    As I have mentioned before the bronze impeller pumps do erode with time, 3 to 5 years in my experience. I have had the issue with oberdorfer/cruisair pumps as well as the very pricey Scott pumps. I ve given up on them and switched to mag drive March pumps whenever possible.
    I read that post in the other thread about it like 1 day after I had paid to have them replace the pump with an OEM, and I was kicking myself for it. The march pumps aren't more expensive and everybody has nothing but good stuff to say about them. When it fails again (and from this forum I know it is only a matter of time) the march pump you suggested is exactly what I'm going with.

Flagship marine in Stuart had the best prices on March pump. They also make excellent self contained, splits and chiller systems all made in Stuart USA!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I caught this late, but we're residing in Legacy here in Fort Myers. Roland is out here servicing boats a lot, and I've heard good things about him and his partner. I've removed the Crusair units, replacing with single-piece units. PO had installed Marsh pumps, AC-5's. I've kept that same pump in place, but recommend BestBuyPumps.com for pumps and parts. They're in Fort Hill SC, but ship fast and have all the related parts as well. I've never acid-flushed my AC's, but built hose adapters to connect a washdown hose directly to the units for high-pressure flushing. That combined with regular use of bromine has kept us up and running. Here's the link for BestBuyPumps -

Best Buy Pumps

Hope this helps.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL