Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Turbo blues

Turbo blues

Time for turbo work. We knew the inboard side was starting to leak so if one is being replaced they both are. Got the floor panels up and can see the outboard side was the big culprit. Now I have a mess to clean up on the hatch. Pulling exhaust manifolds and addressing those at same time.

Any ideas on cleaning up the spot on the panel? It’s worse than black 5200 and that spreads like wildfire.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Re: Turbo blues

Wood stove glass door cleaner

Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Cool, thanks.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Post the part number. I have a new dry turbo collecting dust in my inventory. Do you need just the exhaust side or the whole assembly?

New turbos purchased last month. But thanks.

Edit: I will let my mechanic know because he likes to have parts on hand. Wayne at Anclote Diesel in Tarpon Springs if you want to reach out yourself.
    Last edited by madhatter1; 06-21-2022 at 08:29 PM.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Cool Re: Turbo blues

Disturbing findings
    Attached Images
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Turbo flange on outboard turbo is swiss cheese. What was one a nice new intercooler is polluted. Both sweep pipes need to be replaced. Airsep air filters on both engines need to be replaced. Will not clean up.

All while ER looked pretty much business as usual. Complicity on my part was since starboard engine was replaced brand new in 04/05 and only has 1100 hours is I have plenty of life in them. Problem is while long block was new everything else is whatever vintage it is. Engine runs strong and thinking should be fine (opinions welcomed) but we are in deeper than we thought. Port side turbos were done 2 years ago. Staying local with only short slow rides once back together so we can follow up on port side injector service and exhaust manifold service.

All in all, I can't complain. Boat has never let us down and while we are at the upper limit of my maintenance guestimate I think we will be back together for several years of inspections and regular maintenance.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP