Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Battery box paint?

I am replacing the 8d batteries in my 1986 36’ sport fish and have removed the two old batteries and cleaned up and hopefully neutralized any old residual battery acid with some pretty thorough baking soda and water cleanup. I would like to paint the inside of the boxes while they are cleaned up and the batteries out, but I have not been able to figure out if there is a paint that will work inside the boxes as far as being able to hold up to the abrasion and possible future acid in the boxes? I was thinking maybe a bilge paint? But can’t find any good info on something that will hold up/work? Hoping somebody has tried something that has worked and can share that knowledge? Any info or experience of trying to refinish the inside of the fiberglass battery boxes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Battery box paint?

BILGEKOTE! Painting my sons 34 with it now.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I had good luck with this combination on the outside of my battery boxes and engine room surfaces. It was less than Bilgekote but the price seems to have gone up like everything else. I don't think it will hold up in water and used gray Bilgekote in my bilges. The odor of the below combo is not as bad as Bilgekote either. I was living aboard when I did my cockpit bilges and I almost couldn't spend the night in there.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rust-Oleum-...-Paint/3057697

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/majic-catalyst-hardener-clear-half-1-2-pint

I painted mine with polyurethane bedliner material back in 2006. They're still holding up well.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I had good luck with this combination on the outside of my battery boxes and engine room surfaces. It was less than Bilgekote but the price seems to have gone up like everything else. I don't think it will hold up in water and used gray Bilgekote in my bilges. The odor of the below combo is not as bad as Bilgekote either. I was living aboard when I did my cockpit bilges and I almost couldn't spend the night in there.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rust-Oleum-...-Paint/3057697

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/majic-catalyst-hardener-clear-half-1-2-pint

All good paints give off fumes for weeks while curing. Nature of the beast.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Skycheney. The polyurethane bed liner material sounds like a good idea. What product/brand did you use? What color? How did you apply?

I used the off-white color that matched the original box tops. I don't remember the brand. For other things(non-marine), I have been using Durabak.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks for the suggestion Sky. After talking to some seasoned boat maintenance guys today I ended up mixing up some west system epoxy with the west system gray colorant and gave the inside of the boxes a couple coats…. Looks nice and hopefully they hold up.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChadKuch View Post
    Skycheney. The polyurethane bed liner material sounds like a good idea. What product/brand did you use? What color? How did you apply?
    I wondered about using a Rino-liner type truck bed paint. That stuff would make great non-skid for the cockpit deck, if it holds-up and sticks. It appears to come in all colors.

Maybe it's time to buy a quart and start testing it in a few spots? I'll try the ER deck first - just have to make sure it doesn't chip off and clog any of the bilge pumps.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

I doubt it will. That stuff is so tough it will probably outlast all of us.