Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: VDO gauges

Re: VDO gauges

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    Watching, having similar problems. Some starboard gauges jumpy and/intermittently drop to zero.
    Both tachometers dropped out yesterday.
    Mine too. The worst part is the tech noticed the ER tachs accurately read 2k rpms while the bridge read 1,800. So, those electric tachs are jumpy, unreliable AND wrong...reading about 10% low.

So, they've gotta be replaced and I'm looking to find the best alternative.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Tachometers are a different system. They run off a tachometer sender mounted on the front of the engine or off your glendinning synchronizer, if you have one. The tach sender sends tiny electric pulses to your tach.

if you have a Glendinning there is a speedo cable that runs from the tach gearbox to the glendinning. The cables go bad and break and the gearboxes wear and break.
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    Mine too. The worst part is the tech noticed the ER tachs accurately read 2k rpms while the bridge read 1,800. So, those electric tachs are jumpy, unreliable AND wrong...reading about 10% low.

So, they've gotta be replaced and I'm looking to find the best alternative.
    Did yours also creep up? example: we start out at 1200 rpm and over the next hour they crept up to read about 1400 or maybe 1500, with no change in throttle positions or boat speed
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    Did yours also creep up? example: we start out at 1200 rpm and over the next hour they crept up to read about 1400 or maybe 1500, with no change in throttle positions or boat speed
    I haven't noticed that kind of creepage, yet. Maybe they'll creep up until they're correct! I'll snoop around where it connects to the sync to see if something has gotten a bit fouled and holding it back. It sounds like the vibrations while running are working it to where it should be.

I wonder how many of us have been running at 2k rpms or more thinking they're only at 1,800? How would I have known without a tech in the ER while running?

The jumping around is mostly on the port gauge, and it stops above 800rpm. The port tach doesn't receive any power unless the stbd key is on. So, I'm hoping it's a bad connection, even though I've cleaned them up pretty well.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Talking Re: VDO gauges

I have not looked into the issue with the gauges yet but I was in my engine room yesterday on the starboard side in hour meter was running and no key on the engine not running so I disconnected the sensor for a fuel pressure on a fuel filter and still stayed running so there’s power going to the hourmeter just don’t know where it’s coming from I’m assuming it’s all tied in with the gauges on the starboard side anybody have any thoughts would be greatly appreciated I also disconnected the wire from the alternator that comes from the same fuel pressure
    Switch