Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Question about bow thruster use...

In the marina where I am right now, I observe lots of boats turning 90 degrees to come in since I'm not too far from the entrance which is perpendicular to the main channel.

Recently, like two or three times, I have seen boats coming in and hear their bow thrusters.

My question is: do people use these to turn now? I generally use differential throttles to make corners and maybe a little rudder (not often, tho).

But these folks lay on the thrusters and do a sustained 30 second blast to push the bow around a bend.

In my mind I always assumed bow thrusters were an aid for docking and tight slow maneuvers. Am I wrong?

Could it be these folks are new to boating and want a bow steering effect like an automobile?

Input welcomed...especially from our more experienced seasoned salts.

DAN
    Last edited by drburke; 06-19-2022 at 01:13 PM.

Re: Question about bow thruster use...

Owning both a twin engine and a single engine boat I can say that I use the bow thruster a lot on my single engine boat and I don’t even have one on the twin engine Hatteras. I think using a lot of bow thruster on a twin engine boat is just people who have never learn d to drive a boat properly or are lazy.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I agree. Thrusters are like crutches. My marina has a 90 degree turn to port coming in with about 120’ wide. I also see some boats using thrusters. Do it right and on a 60/70 footers rudders alone are enough to make the turn. I ve never had to pull one w fine in reverse with my 53. The 116 I run is based there too and I usually make the turn on rudders alone. Sometimes if it s blowing or if there is traffic I may pull one in reverse but I rarely use the thruster.

Couple of days ago I saw a 60 ish Marlow coming in to the next tee head. He had to make a 180 and it took him forever using both bow and stern thrusters. Much faster to split the gears

There is on scenario where you may want to use the BT is when the water is shallow and you don’t want to stir all the crap in your strainers. Then yes I use the thruster to speed the maneuvering and minimize stirring
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I never use mine for turns, I never hit the power for more that 5 seconds if I need them in tight spaces while berthing.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

New boats with joysticks energize thrusters in conjuction with gears. Maybe some of these guys are using the joystick before they even get close to the dock.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI