Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to clean hull

My 1989 40DC is on the Tennessee River. My boat cleaner was trying to clean the brown stuff above the waterline and told me (I live out of state) he stopped because it looked like the blue strip (Dupont Enamel, I checked) was starting to come off with whatever acid he was using. Does anyone have a good way to get that brown/red stain above the waterline off without hurting the Imron or blue stripe?

Re: How to clean hull

This is great for removing stains. However once you scrub it you want to rinse it right away.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Try lemon juice .

This stuff is absolutely the best I have ever used. It’s a wipe and rinse product

https://www.amazon.com/Zing-10007-Pr...ef_=ast_sto_dp
    SummerWind
    1994 Hatteras
    48 cockpit motoryacht
    Muskegon, Mi

youtube.com/@greatlakesyachting

Try using “The Works” toilet bowl cleaner from Dollar General. Much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwatson View Post
    Try using “The Works” toilet bowl cleaner from Dollar General. Much cheaper.
    Works is the way to go. Just dilute it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thank you to everyone for your responses. I will give them a try

Quote Originally Posted by cnairn View Post
    My 1989 40DC is on the Tennessee River. My boat cleaner was trying to clean the brown stuff above the waterline and told me (I live out of state) he stopped because it looked like the blue strip (Dupont Enamel, I checked) was starting to come off with whatever acid he was using. Does anyone have a good way to get that brown/red stain above the waterline off without hurting the Imron or blue stripe?
    hard pressed not to think the acid was left on too long, I used muriatic on my powerboats back in the day, never a paint blemish when used correctly
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

We used to clean concrete trucks with muratic acid to get the cement off. They were all painted with Imron. The acid didn't hurt the paint but it would make it dull over time.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

We used Ospho to remove the brown stains. It shouldn’t hurt the boot stripe. It’s not as corrosive as muriatic acid. Just stay away from aluminum.