Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Blackwater holding tanks, how are they set up?

I have a 1980 53 MY, it has two holding tanks.
    Previous owner installed what appear to be 2 dometic lights, I am assuming one for each tank.
    I was told by the mechanic that they would turn yellow when almost full. So we were on the boat about 10 days and I noticed one of the lights came on red, not yellow. So I am assuming that was just an error on the mechanics part and he meant they would turn red.
    Anyways, it was the upper of the two lights so I figured that would be to the tank that I assumed serviced the forward head. So we said o.k. let's just use the master stateroom head until we get to the pump out. Then I saw we were pumping overboard from a thru hull fitting toward the front of the boat starboard side when flushing the master stateroom toilet.

So my big question is: can anyone tell me how these systems are plumbed together?
    I would have thought the other sensor light would come on well before anything begins pumping overboard.

We did do a pumpout and the light went out and everything went back to working as it should.
    Now I see the same red light is on about a week later, again the lower light sensor has never lit up.

The toilets are Raritan brand.

Hopefully someone could share how these setups work?
    Thank you!
    Last edited by Bob Quinn; 06-20-2022 at 10:43 AM.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Re: Blackwater holding tanks, how are they set up?

Mine is set up for the owners and mid head to go to forward tank the forward head goes to mid/aft tank.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Re: Blackwater holding tanks, how are they set up?

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    Mine is set up for the owners and mid head to go to forward tank the forward head goes to mid/aft tank.
    That's odd. The original setup was fwd and aft head go to the bow tank and mid head goes to the stbd side tank in the gen room
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI