Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transom leak

Transom leak

On the port side, sea water is seeping from the transom into the boat. I have checked the exterior and there are no obvious signs of damage. Diver also looked underneath and found nothing.

I noticed the leak a week after filling water tanks. When water tanks were full, well over a gallon a day was entering the boat. Water tanks are now empty and about a cup per day is coming in.

Splash Zone was placed over the initial pinhole leak. Unfortunately water began seeping above it (upper black mark in pic) then eventually water penetrated the SZ.

Boat is scheduled to be hauled next week.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Any suggestions?
    Attached Images
    KATERINA
    1970 53MY Hull #329
    Cummins VT8-370M
    Alameda CA

Re: Transom leak

I would take a good look at the water tank, to be sure.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Doesn’t look like your problem, but I had water leak from a corroded trim tab screw that came completely through the transom, probably a replacement screw .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Ordinarily I would say the rudder post stuffing boxes are the likely culprit, but in your case if the leak is directly related to how full your water tank is, then most likely you already have your answer.

Well,,, When the water tank is full, The trim tab cylinder is lower.
    The tops of the tab cylinders, where they bolt thru the transom, should be looked at also.

Lots of ideas here.
    It's a boat, always an adventure..
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 06-18-2022 at 11:12 AM.

Check the bolts holding the swim platform brackets, I had one that was leaking.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Check the bolts holding the swim platform brackets, I had one that was leaking.
    This is a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    Doesn’t look like your problem, but I had water leak from a corroded trim tab screw that came completely through the transom, probably a replacement screw .
    Did the leak manifest near the corroded trim tab screw, on the bottom of the boat?
    KATERINA
    1970 53MY Hull #329
    Cummins VT8-370M
    Alameda CA

Quote Originally Posted by GinnupsGirl View Post
    Did the leak manifest near the corroded trim tab screw, on the bottom of the boat?
    Yes it did, and very hard to find.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

The swim platform was removed by a PO and none of the repair areas appear to be leaking. Rudder post is also dry.

Leak location is near the port 'trim tab cylinders'. Perhaps water is seeping in somewhere around there. Earlier this week the port side trim tab came off the boat - screws holding it in place had disintegrated - perhaps these two issues are related.

Thank you all for your insight.

Rebecca
    KATERINA
    1970 53MY Hull #329
    Cummins VT8-370M
    Alameda CA