Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

AwlGrip polishing

Something I don’t see discussed here too much, that I recall.

AwlGrip wants you to apply and remove their AwlCare product by hand.

Are people really hand applying this stuff to 50/60/70 foot boats, or is there sort of a conservative machine application method that makes it a bit easier?

Or something else, what do you guys do?
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Re: AwlGrip polishing

Go to YouTube and look up Boat works today. He has numerous instruction videos on all different types of paints and polishes.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Do most foiks on here still have the original Imron? Or, updated Imron?

Curious about that.

I have AwlGrip, and it seems like a fantastic paint, and I do the AwlCare application by hand, but, it seems like you could do it gently with a machine.

Just curious what other people might be doing.

I am familiar with Boatworks Today for sure, and there is a segment about AwlGrip/AwlCare and he does it by hand.

But, do the other Hatteras owners on this forum with AwlGrip do it by hand, using AwlCare?
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

I have a very good detailer with years of experience. I had him Awlcare the boat i run, he did with a buffer. All 116’ of it

My Hatt has Imron so he never used Awlcare on it.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I'm pretty much an expert on taking care of awlgrip, it's what I've had for ages. The hatt has imron on it, and that is new to me. Is there anything I have to be concerned about? Can you use anything on it? Awlgrip is really finnicky about not liking any polishing compounds or certain waxes.

I use Shurhold Pro Polish on my Imron and have for years. Great stuff.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I do my 42c by hand. It takes me a day to do the hull. First step is Windex, it cleans the dirt off then I use meguires cleaner/wax then the pure wax. I have been doing that for 22 years now, it had a recent paint job just before I bought it.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    I do my 42c by hand. It takes me a day to do the hull. First step is Windex, it cleans the dirt off then I use meguires cleaner/wax then the pure wax. I have been doing that for 22 years now, it had a recent paint job just before I bought it.

Walt Hoover
    Your putting wax over AwlGrip or Imron?

My boat is probably half Imron and half awlgrip at this point.

I use Mequiars 50, cleaner wax on all of it. apply it with a dual action variable speed machine where possible and by hand in all the tight spaces. also use the 50 on all the glass, inside and out, as well as the chrome, shower walls, mirrors, plumbing fixtures... etc. I wipe the chart plotter screens with one of the micro-fiber towels i used to remove the wax (one of the cleaner ones).

I swear by it. works great. absolutely no issues. paint looks great.
    BAYARD

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1989 65' MOTOR YACHT, STRETCHED TO A 74' SPORT DECK MOTOR YACHT

Yes, wax over my awlgrip. Never had an issue except sore shoulders the next day.

Walt Hoover