Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Best chart plotter.......

So I realize im opening a can can of worms here.....but, what would you buy?

I've had several Lowrance units, that I liked. I've always used the Navionics maps. I was going to go with Garmin, because they are so readily available, but I just saw they would use Navionics maps. Despite Garmin now owning Navionics

Whats your Favorite, and Why?

Re: Best chart plotter.......

I think it’s hard to beat Garmin when it comes to ease of use. The current BlueCharts which now use Navionics charts are very good. I have a pair of big Garmin touchscreens on the boat i run, 16 or 18” I think, and they re pretty good.

Over the years I ve used Simrad and raymarine and would never buy one.

I ve also used Furuno Navnet 3D for about 5 years and it was really old especially the radar which had features Garmin doesn’t have. The plotter function was really good too, used Cmap. It was the black box model, which is pretty much a rugged computer with daylight readable monitors. Haven’t use the latest touchscreen generation of Navnet.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I have always been partial to Raymarine but am disappointed in the quality of their newer stuff. When restoring my 47' Commander went all in and cracked open the checkbook. Dual state of the art touchscreen mfd's, autopilot, radar, AIS, anemometer, sonar/fishfinder, the whole 9 yards. That was 2 years ago, and I'm already on my second warranty replacement on one of the screens. I'm religious about using the dust covers and not abusing them. They're just subpar quality.

The Hatteras came to me with one Raymarine e80 on the bridge plus radar, sonar, and autopilot. The 10 year-old stuff on the Hatt is 100% reliable and works great. After what I went through on my other boat I decided I wasn't spending a fortune on new stuff. I wanted one at the lower station and a bigger screen up top, so I got 2 new-old-stock e120's off ebay and they work great. I love it, it's all dead reliable and very easy to use. The quality difference between the Raymarine of 10 years ago and the Raymarine of today is night and day.

I think Furuno go to more trouble than any other company to make their new stuff backwards compatible. They are also very reliable. I believe they are the first choice of commercial mariners, which tells you something.

Boatsb had some Raymarine gear for sale on yachtsman Bill's site at a pretty good price. He said he was going to post it here but I can't find the listing.

Here's the one from that other site:

https://flybridge.proboards.com/thre...raymarine-gear
    Last edited by Avenger; 06-13-2022 at 09:30 PM.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Boatsb had some Raymarine gear for sale on yachtsman Bill's site at a pretty good price. He said he was going to post it here but I can't find the listing.

Here's the one from that other site:

https://flybridge.proboards.com/thre...raymarine-gear
    I wonder why that never showed up here?

But I found it:

I have 2 Raymarine Axiom Pro 12S MFD (E70482) No Transducer No Charts that are a few 'months old. They have the standard sonar.

1 has 2 broken screw holes in the mounting flange. The other is perfect (factory replaced the broken mounting plate.

Both about a year old. I pulled them out under warranty. The vessel manufacturer screwed them up. I have all the cables and parts (new)

New price $3850 each.

By both for $6750 and choose your charts.

Scott 407-739-5450
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI