Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hynautic H42-04 Steering Pump LEaking

My lower helm steering pump was leaking, a several drops consistently over 3-4 days period. I removed the Hynautic H42-04 pump and got it serviced to replace seals. I've reinstalled the pump and getting prepared to purge/bleed system, filled resevoir and took it to 30PSI air pressure.

I've noticed that the pump is weeping oil. It's not to the point of dripping, but each 24hr period I get a spot of oil around the fitting connection block and the main pump block.

I've lost a number of weeks already this season, is this something I can watch over the rest of the season and replace seals, again at end of the year? Or, serious to where I need to pull and replace seals now?

Thanks.
    Kevin Marr
    '79 Hatteras 58MY

Re: Hynautic H42-04 Steering Pump LEaking

Not sure if this will fix it but I’ve been told not to exceed 25 PSI. Hope that works for you.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I would back the presure down a little bit, and see if it still works fine, and the leaks resolve.

I'd also clean the back of the pump body well, and isolate the source of the leak. Could just be a fitting.

It certainly doesnt sound bad enough that I would pull it apart and lose any substancial time over. Perhaos when the season winds down

Not sure if this will fix it but I’ve been told not to exceed 25 PSI. Hope that works for you.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California