Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sea Trial

Re: Sea Trial

Quote Originally Posted by jap201 View Post
    agree 100%. the only change I'd make to your comment is switch "Corinthian leather" with "fine china".
    I was going to go with something less language appropriate,... but I settled on Ricardo Montalbán and "Rich Corinthian Leather." Which outstrips "Rich Crushed Velour."

Perhaps the Chrysler connection was too delicate.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    We ran DD's for years in trucks and heavy equipment. Our main mechanic wanted to see them run at full throttle and this is guy who had to rebuild them. I wouldn't be afraid to run them up. If your cooling system is functioning properly, there is no issue.
    Did you mechanic suggested reving up the engine and dumping the clutch? That’s the road equivalent to going to WOT without letting the 100k+ boat accelerate.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    RTFM

As usual, there is a difference between commercial and pleasurecraft ratings, and the manufacturer will specify how many minutes out of an hour are permissible within the context of that rating.

Do that. I don't understand the fear people have of WOT. The engine is made to do it, and if everyone is afraid of it when you're buying the boat something is wrong. And if you break a shaft going to WOT something is seriously wrong.

Why wouldn't you want to test the performance limits of a boat you are paying a lot of money for?

Some people seem to think these things are made of Corinthian leather instead of iron and steel.
    Is it actually okay to just throw it up to WOT instantly instead of walking the sticks up at a measured pace? I don't know one way or the other, aside from that I got yelled at for doing that once as a kid when driving my dad's boat. The explanation was that there's a lot more force involved going to full throttle instantly than increasing the throttles at a measured pace and it could break the shaft or couplings. The ti's in my boat put out something like 1500lb/ft+ of torque at 1500rpm, I'm sure bigger engines like the 12's in rsmith's boat or C32's in Pascal's are even higher. Isn't that a lot to put into the shafts and props all at one time?

Nobody is suggesting a neutral drop.

But if going from forward idle to WOT is going to break the boat, I wouldn't buy that boat.

1970 36C375

Seriously, don't you think the engineers that spec'd the shafts understood the torque loads that the engines could produce?

If they didn't, you don't want that boat.

1970 36C375

Yes pretty much every boat or repower is designed so the shafts can take the load from the engines in normal conditions. I know that when I repowered my 53, the prop shop and the cummins dealer ran the calculations. To ensure the safety factor was adequate

But the question remains why would you want to throw that much torque on the shaft? It s not a maneuver you re ever going to want to do anyway.

Years before I was on another survey sea trial with a heavy handed captain who just pushed the sticks forward. Nothing broke but the boat cavitated and shook for no reason.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

On my 34 that has Cummins i throttle up progressively as even though at 270 HP they produce 735 lbs of torque. Why subject it to full throttle from idle. On the 46 I do the same and once the turbos make boost and they take off I am pulling back on the sticks as they build power to reduce unneeded power to get up to speed. Even after pulling back the sticks I end up at higher than desired RPM and pull back down to cruise.

Anyway we can all run as we see fit. But no way would I do this for a surveyor or run long term at wide open throttle. Seems this should all be discussed with seller, buyer, and surveyor before splash and run. If something breaks seller is stuck with the bill. If nothing breaks buyer ends up with a boat that was just run way harder than normal.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I'm not suggesting hard use as routine operation. I agree a half hour at WOT may be excessive, which is why I stated to check the manual.

However, when you're out trolling and one of your less seaworthy passengers loses their balance and falls on the throttles the shafts are going to be subjected to all that torque whether you consider it prudent or not. It has to be able to take it, and it's supposed to be engineered to do so.

1970 36C375

Plenty of people hit stuff and run aground with no drive train failures except bent props. I don’t see a problem with pushing the throttles up in forward. My main gripe is ham fisted people going from forward to reverse without stopping in neutral to let the props spin down. I see a guy with both hands on the clutch levers I just grit my teeth
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Did you mechanic suggested reving up the engine and dumping the clutch?
    No. That's not what I said. My point was 30 mins at WOT on a DD should never be a problem as long as the cooling system is maintained.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI